Coconut Oil based creams/salves/lotions

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Mr. Shaverman, Oct 21, 2015.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Stuf is great by itself as a preshave or a skin conditioner. I haven't mixed it in anything yet for personal care but I did add pomello zest to some in a wax burner a few days ago. Gave me an amazing citrus smell for days. Still a good smell but its much milder now.

2. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

The recipe belongs to HolyRollah I am just using different oils using the same measurements I will try to find the recipe.

Greg Becker likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Exfoliant.
    Some people choose to create their own exfoliator by mixing together 2 tablespoons of sugar and around 3 tablespoons of coconut oil. Put it in a jar or container and use it to your liking.

Deodorant.
    You can also make your own deodorant by mixing together shea butter, arrowroot, baking soda, and coconut oil.

Cleaning brushes.
    You can use a mix of coconut oil and antibacterial soap to clean your make-up shaving brushes.

4. Greg Becker

Greg Becker Member

Looking forward to the recipe!

5. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

My wife does so also. It add shine and helps with the flexibility of the hair.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  6. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

I use Propolis & extra virgin coconut oil as a balm and moisturiser after I finish my shave.

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Makes GREAT popcorn.

tuxxdk and cmorris357 like this.
  8. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Check out Wellness Mama

9. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Coconut oil is the best oil to use as a personal lubricant and it is a great way to treat yeast infections if present as it contains caprylic acid.
    It has been shown to be quite effective in combating Candida strains.

May not be the best lubricant for Trying To Conceive (TTC) Couples

If you can't read the small font above your best conceiving days maybe behind you, so it does not apply. :prrr:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  10. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Oh I was able to read it all well enough even though... Oh never mind that.

This may be the most non-sequitur and hilarious message I've run across on this forum yet. Bravo! Well done sir.

NapalmCola likes this.
  11. BigCabDaddy

On a more serious note, I know it's used as a daily mouth rinse. I think there's a specific word for the practice but I can't remember. The theory behind the practice has something to do with toxins leeching. I did try it for awhile and the biggest thing I noticed was that it seemed to help with bad breath. But it's like a 20 minute procedure so it eventually fell by the wayside for me. Mouth wash being far more expedient.

In terms of shaving, there's a video of the Shaving Queen using it and it alone as her cream to shave her legs. Whether you want to explore the practice or not, the video is quite... entertaining.

NapalmCola likes this.
  12. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Oil pulling, also known as "kavala" or "gundusha," is an ancient Ayurvedic dental technique that involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth on an empty stomach for around 20 minutes.
    This action supposedly draws out toxins in your body, primarily to improve oral health but also to improve your overall health.

NapalmCola and BigCabDaddy like this.
  13. BigCabDaddy

Yeah, that! See? I described it... Sorta. I just didn't remember what it was called. Lol

14. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

No trying to hi-jack the thread, but I have a question towards that exactly.

I was thinking of making a face scrub with coconut oil, baking soda and tea tree oil. But wont the coconut oil make the face oily as ****, rendering the need for a facial soap, and lots of it, afterwards?

Any ideas on what to use instead of coconut oil?

15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Any oil-based scrub needs to be washed off with soap. Whether or not the oil is a problem depends on the skin type you have. I use a shea-butter/sugar scrub. I wash wwith soap (just a normal amount) and my skin feels clean, but not dry, when I am done.

tuxxdk likes this.
  16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yeah I was just thinking, as per commercial products, that it was a soap in it self. Ie. no use for soap afterwards. I see it as a problem, but no recipe found indicates it as a problem, so perhaps it's the good ol' expectations vs. reality that comes in play.

I'll readjust my reality :D

17. Hobbyist

Hobbyist Member

I make whipped body butters for my wife and family and friends. My wife absolutely loves this stuff and needs me to make another batch tonight actually. I have made it a few different ways but usually use unrefined shea butter, coconut oil and sweet almond oil or any other soft oil. I use a 75% solid/hard oil/butter and 25% soft oil recipe when using unrefined shea butter. For example, 4oz of unrefined shea butter, 2oz coconut oil, and 2oz sweet almond oil or other soft oil. You should use a microwave or double boiler to melt the shea butter and coconut oil. If you use a microwave start with 45 seconds and see how it does, then add another 30 seconds if needed but try to remove it as soon as the oils have melted. You don't want the oils any hotter than necessary to melt them, too hot can cause them to lose some of their qualities, plus it will take longer to cool them down for use. After melting the shea and coconut add in the soft oil and mix until all oils are completely combined. Then set it in the freezer for 20 minutes or until it starts to solidify or harden, which is usually about 20 to 25 minutes when making 4 to 6 oz. Remove from freezer and use either a stand mixer with whisk attachment (beaters work too) or a hand held mixer and beat until it looks like a whipped cream, at which point it should at least be double in volume. Add in 10 drops or so of essential oils if you desire a scented cream and whisk until fully mixed in, then spoon it into a container and it's ready for use. If it ever starts to liquify from hot temperatures just put it in the refrigerator for a little while and it will harden back up. Something to keep in mind, if you are using a hand mixer don't be alarmed if it takes 15 to 20 minutes to get the whipped texture you're looking for. It can take some time for sure, but usually starts looking nice after 5 minutes or so of mixing, and I believe the end product is well worth the work.

Note for above: You can add the essential oils after mixing in the soft oil and then put it in the freezer if you like. I just did this a little while ago when making a batch and it seems like the scent turned out much nicer as it seems to have mixed in better.

You can use coconut oil alone, which I haven't made but it is the same process except you don't have to heat it up since it isn't near as hard as unrefined shea butter and you aren't having to combine it with other oils. Just beat it with mixer using whisk attachment for several minutes until a whipped cream appearance is reached, add in essential oils if desired and you're done. I prefer to add shea butter, cocoa butter, or mango butter because coconut oil on its own can be drying, however it is still very good for the skin and some actually prefer it alone.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I use Coconut oil as a pre shave oil and apply my cream/soap on top of it ...:p

Billy...:chores016:

Robyflexx likes this.