SoS: November 23, 2015 - November 29, 2015

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by crackstar, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

[​IMG]
    DOC with Personna blue
    HMB 26mm Swirl handle
    BWW Thomas Tew

Insane lather...BBS results

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Saturday morning's planned shave:

Stirling Pre-Shave Soap :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055:
    Large Horsehair Barbershop
    Super Speed/Astra day 6
    Henri et Victoria Fall's Lumberjack SS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :smiley freezing:
    Henri et Victoria Bergamot Vetiver AS :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :love055: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily: :Animatedfrozensmily:

A great Quebecois-style shave for tomorrow morning. Man oh man, this Fall's Lumberjack soap lathers like such a maniac and does it ever smell awesome. The menthol effect is very, very mild but it can still be felt and it has terrific post-shave care. Claude's Bergamot Vetiver aftershave splash is a face-freezer which smells wonderful and has so much soothing to it. As I said once, "Quebec sait faire!" (Quebec knows how!) ;) :D

Pre_Shave_Soap__39521_1437010115_800_800.jpg DSC01115.jpg DSC01079.jpg

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Merkur 34C
    Blade: Personna SS (6)
    Brush: WDC-2 (Grandfather's) High Mountain Badger Wood Handle (Whipped Dog) 22/65
    Soap: Route 66 The Perfect Gent
    A/S: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Excellent lather with this shave soap. It's a real gem. My usual 3 passes with a touch up. Great finish with this Myrsol A/S.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    11 27 15.jpg

4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beauty!!!:happy096:

RaZorBurn123, ObiDon, ram57 and 2 others like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good luck in the Grey Cup.;)

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks for the idea for my A/S tonight.:happy088::happy088:

7. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

image.jpeg EQUIPMENT:
    ---
    RAZOR: DeFitch DF91
    BLADE: Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (2), (color unknown)
    BRUSH: Parker Synthetic
    SOAP: Kiss My Face Lavendar Shea
    POST SHAVE: Nivea post shave Balm
    AFTERSHAVE: Aqua Velva

TECHNIQUE:
    ---
    Wam rinse/shower
    cold water splash
    Lathered in bowl
    WTG, XTG, rXTG, TU
    added water + lather between passes
    Nivea Post
    Aqua Velva off shaved area

Interesting shave yesterday and I wanted to document it before it got away from me. I went back to what was the norm for me a few scant weeks ago to give the DeFitch razor a test in a known environment. It was interesting in itself how much my technique and expectations have elevated in a very short time but that's the stuff of another post.

Also, I think it's appropriate to provide a little context. We were having over all four kids, their significant others, and a couple of their dogs. My oldest daughter came over a day ahead of time and had been cooking non-stop because my wife is working ridiculous hours due to a power plant outage. Some people were arriving late for various obligations, others leaving early. Like many families I Imagine, there was a degree of family drama and chaos going on. Others had showered before me and there was some unrest because of lack of hot water. Dad went last and the lack of hot water didn't bother me since I'm now used to cold shaving. But there was a fair amount of distraction, stress and a degree of hurriedness. Not the meditative shave we so often describe here.
    • The Kiss My Face makes a functional lather, but it doesn't have the density I now am familiar with and doesn't provide the lubrication.
    • I now think the defitch is the perfect razor for the distracted or beginner. The shave was not up to present standards but was perfectly acceptable by those of just a few weeks ago. While it was perfectly adequate to carry me through the holiday meal, I'd want to shave again today if I had something going on that merited it. The big thing is it was a bloodless shave. The DeFitch is very nearly as autopilot and foolproof as the best cartridge. It seems to me if you miss your angle, you simply miss a spot -- not get nicked.
      • I did manage to misalign the blade today in my hurry. Had I not taken a moment to check it, problems may have ensued. However, I simply loosened the head, shook it a little and the blade settled. I tighted it back up and was good to go. Basically what needs to be said in instructing a new wet shaver is to check the blade alignment. That might be a good instruction for DeFitch to include in any repackaging, but it's certainly a step that anyone should be able to follow.
    • The shave was smooth. With this minimal lather and no preshave, audible feedback was quite sufficient. In short, the DeFitch paired with the Gillette 7 o'clock was perfectly up to the task and the perfect equipment for a distracted and hurried holiday shave.
    • I do prefer the Nivea to Thayer's Witch Hazel as a post shave though I can see where some might prefer the less sticky feel or less lingering smell of the Thayer's.
    Bottom line is I'm now ready to say that the DeFitch is a perfectly suitable, mild razor. I've not tried the other "beginners" double edged razors so I don't know how it compares, but I feel completely comfortable recommending the DeFitch to a beginner with the caveat that blade alignment should be checked.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  8. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Is it February already? Even so one day short, actually two as I think '16 is leap year. What happen to the 30 day straight challenge for November? :signs081:

9. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Planned SOTD 11/28/15

[​IMG]

Razor: Duvert fréres N°19 frameback
    Brush: Stirling Synthetic 26mm
    Bowl: Lady Sea Creations 5"
    Pre Shave Scrub: RazoRock GLO
    Pre Shave Balm: Proraso Sensitive
    Shave Soap: Mickey Lee Drunken Goat
    Aftershave: Small Batch Shave Tonic

10. melyus

melyus Well-Known Member

11. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

GOOD SATURDAY MORNING TSD!!! 11/28/15 SOTD

Razor-Schick Adjustable
    Blade-Schick(3)
    Brush-Badger
    Lather-Neutrogena
    Post Shave-Cold water rinse,
    Witch hazel,Nivea PSB

A nice smooth shave this morning almost BBS but not quite.
    I had razor set on 6 again felt like a middle of the road shave
    in terms of aggressiveness compared to my Gillette's.
    All in all another great shave!:happy088:

HAVE A GREAT DAY AND A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE!! :) HPIM2332.JPG

12. zzitop

zzitop Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Strop Shoppe - Special - Apple & Cinnamon / Zenith 505AK EXTRA - Silvertip / Polsilver SI / Mekur 34C HD / Floid Blue

13. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

SOTD -- November 28, 2015
    Prep: Rusty Blade blend pre-shave oil
    Razor/Blade: Gillette Canadian Heavy Tech / Astra SP
    Brush/Soap: Semogue / Santa Maria del Fiore
    Aftershave: Witch Hazel/coconut oil
    Mustache Wax: Badger

The Santa Maria del Fiore croap is a really nice product. Fragrance is a bit strong for my liking, but the lubrication and lather qualities are wonderful. I have been reading up on this croap (it has the consistency of Cella or Proraso in a tub...maybe a bit thicker) and some guys are lathering directly from the jar and others scoop out a bit and face, bowl or hand lather. I did a combination of hand and face lathering. I started a small almond size glob in my hand and then once it was lathering well, I move it to my face and continued lathering until I got it to the consistency I like. Fragrance tends to last. Good moisturzing properties. Nice way to start a Saturday morning. Enjoy the weekend gents. :chores016:

Santa Maria.jpg

14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

November 28

Feather Artist Club SS
    Feather Super Professional (1)
    Semogue 830
    MdC scented
    Two passes plus touch-ups
    Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and CC Bay Rum

Goals
    Further develop my two-pass shave technique by practicing the basics
    Break in and get more experience with the Semogue 830
    Get more experience with MdC

A great shave with the Feather AC on two days of growth, and my first shave using a Super Pro blade. I could initially feel the additional blade exposure, but I focused on my technique, took my time, and the shave went fine. Two passes (WTG and ATG) plus touch-ups for a near BBS shave and no blood or irritation. I think Clint would describe it as one of those "scary close" shaves you get with a Super Pro blade. I plan to use this set up into next week and then switch over to my December set up.

Have a great weekend!

SOTD_112815.JPG

15. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Go Green!
    The Spartans control their own destiny - win today and they will be in the B1G championship game. Either way, this has been a great season and a great decade.
    I shaved with my Lime frankensoap again today, but added a sample of Catie's Bubbles Mile High Menthol to the mix. The results are excellent! Smooth easy shave with a welcome cool. The soap is made of Maggard's Limes and Bergamot, to which I added samples of Reef Point Sublime, and Cold River Soap Works Citrus, and now CBMHM. My Spartan Bronze brush made super thick lather effortlessly.
    Astra SP worked perfectly with der Futur, and PAA Lime Ginger and Tea Tree wrapped things up nicely.
    Prep: PAA Ice
    Soap: Frankenlime
    Brush: Brothers Bristles Spartan Bronze
    Razor: der Futur
    Blade: Astra SP (3)
    AS: PAA Lime Ginger Tea Tree
    [​IMG]

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

•Pal Adjustable
    •unknown loose blade with two round holes in it...Eversharp?
    •Palmolive cream

Good 2 pass shave, close with no nicks. Just gotta keep that Pal on low setting or it ain't my Pal anymore.

a/s: vintage English Leather Timberline, like this one, not the new junk...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

As the Quebecois say "Tabarnak, c'est bon!" (Damn, that's good!) What an awesome soap this Fall's Lumberjack is - it gave me so much rich, thick lather and perfect blade glide for an excellent shave. It also cools ever so slightly and feels so good after a shave. The Bergamot Vetiver aftershave hit me with one hell of a menthol punch and a nice scent. Oh, by the way, Rod's pre-shave soap set the stage for this wonderful shave by leaving my face nice and clean as well as my stubble well-softened. :happy088: :happy088:

Tdmsu, Norcalnewb, Jayaruh and 8 others like this.
  18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Saturday, November 28, 2015

RR Black Mamba
    Feather #1
    Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
    MDC Fougere
    Dickinson’s +Menthol, Myrsol Metilsol, Whipped Shea Butter
    Fine L’Orange Noir

IMG_3214-1.jpg

19. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

20. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

S2 Triad / Voskhod

SOC

Reef Point Submariner

Floid SE

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.