How to lather shave cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Will, Jun 13, 2008.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I pump my brushes, been doing it 7-8 years. I even have a couple of vintage brushes with the original knot. I do the same with them. No broken hairs yet. When you pump the brush you're not trying to drive the handle into the bottom of the bowl. And I agree with you - the brush is a tool to be used. I don't baby it, but I don't abuse it, either.

2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Thats a great post! I skip the bowl and just go at it on my face same results!

PLANofMAN, Silvestris, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  3. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Mmmmmm - shaving bowl, scuttle.... I use one of my kids old cereal bowls. Seems to work just fine.

Zykris, Shave Fu and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. Heather Mercado

Heather Mercado New Member

I take more water and less cream which allows to create more lather from shaving cream.

5. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I use dog/cat steel bowl. No1 on sales on my Amazon for "shaving bowl". Internal diameter 9cm, 5cm high, becomes a bit narrower towards the bottom. Dirt cheap. I ordered a 2nd one, just in case.

Taken from Amazon reviewer:
    [​IMG]

You can't imagine how easily the brush turns in there. Minimal friction. You can hold it in one hand easily and the brush glides.

Douglas Carey and Robyflexx like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

7. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

So when applying cream from a tube, you don't need more than about a half inch to an inch worth of cream to create a good lather that's sufficient to cover the face?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Start with half an inch. If that's not enough, add more.
    If you start with an inch, it may be too much. Easier to add than take away.

RetLEO-07 and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I made this this morning. It is how I facelather with a cream from a tube.

MacDaDad, BamaT, KUSTOM and 2 others like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i have always used a bowl and my shave creams are in tubs.scoop out a bit into the bowl, add wet brush and bang. boars included.

MacDaDad, Douglas Carey and Jayaruh like this.
  11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Great video! And yeah you still have it!

Douglas Carey and Jayaruh like this.
  12. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I run my brush bristles under warm water to get it wet, or fill the sink and soak the bristles. Otherwise I've been doing this method, but haven't gotten lather of that volume.

Jayaruh and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

Go PHILLIES!!! I’m from South Jersey Camden County and I remember 2008 when we won it all the parade was fun as hell

Douglas Carey likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Jim, I'm glad to see that there's this kind of option for "tube-shaving". I'm bringing out a tube this week and will try it the Jayaruh way. In fact, it just might be exactly a year after you did this :). Make that 2 years.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    Jayaruh likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I never use warm water, and I never soak my brush. Well, I do use hot water to clean up my gear, but that's it. I am a cold water face-lathering convert. But that's just me.

MacDaDad likes this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I use creams just like @Jayaruh except I prefer lukewarm water. I use a similar amount of cream applied to my face, and with a synthetic brush, get a ton of lather.

MacDaDad likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I tried the Pacific Natural. I like the smell- light citrus that doesn’t linger- and the texture. I used some under my arms today, with good result. More, once I have tried it on my legs.

MacDaDad likes this.
  18. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

You sound like you got used to not having hot water back in the Nam. :) I'm spoiled now and use HOT water but I do rinse my alum off with cold water rinse. I mostly use a combination of hard soaps and a tube of Proraso or whatever I have laying around. Oh, and face lathering is where it's at, my opinion anyway. :cool:

BamaT, Paul Turner and brit like this.