Now THAT'S a Shaving Scuttle!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by HolyRollah, Nov 27, 2015.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I was in a large antique market today seeking out shaving-related goodies. My eye caught sight of a vintage Sheffield straight, but what really got me was the item directly behind the razor: a vintage late 18th century ornately decorated Middletown silver-plate scuttle with matching brush. The brush could use a new knot, but overall, this piece was simply killer looking! Price tag said $268 but they would knock off 20% & bring the price down to $212! Tempting…..but about $100 more than I'd be willing to spend on a lovely scuttle, silver-plate or not. Very cool piece, however.

The razor? A vintage Sheffield, about 7/8" width; hollow notch; nice blade! Hone wear on the tang has taken all but a partial "Sheff…" and "olds" for the maker stamp. I venture to guess it is a Frederick Reynolds (1860+). Scales were crummy & needing repinning. Asking $160……….nope. $45….maybe.
    [​IMG]

Joef, Robyflexx, 45auto and 3 others like this.
  2. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

[​IMG]

Joef and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That is lovely. I wonder if there was an insert originally

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

It is a beautiful scuttle. I would really like to acquire a silver plated one some day.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Hard to say. There was nothing indicative of any 'missing' part as I handled and inspected it. Heavier than I though it'd be.
    Brush handle felt cozy in the hand, too.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Pretty nice.

7. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Very nice piece. Never seen one with a deep bowl for lathering. That makes more sense than the ceramic ones with a shallow depression for soap.

NapalmCola likes this.
  8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Holy cow HoyRollah, that is a beautiful scuttle and brush! Yes, the bowl is deeper than usual, a nice feature in my opinion. But man, the price! That is very high even for such a fine piece. I think $120-$150 would be a more realistic price range. Then again, it is the Christmas shopping season, so antique stores are probably raising prices this month.

Looking on eBay, there are a lot of silver plated mugs and scuttles for sale. Most seem to go for $90 - $100, with some of the nicer examples going for a little more. That is sans brush, and many of them are sold as antiques when they are not (antiques are customarily items at least 100 years old). Even so, there are some very nice pieces to be had.

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

They do come up from time to time.
    This one for instance sold for about $65
    [​IMG]

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Did you offer $45...prices have dropped!

11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Stunningly beautiful! Someday :love055: