First Impression - Tabac

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by hrairy, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Where was this sale?

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Where have you been? Just kidding :). Look up Perfumania.com and maybe backtrack through a few "Tabac" threads. Think it is maybe still running.

BigCabDaddy and Spyder like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

The prior threads list coupon codes. Just FYI.

4. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Shipping to Canada is 20.00 so for me it's cheaper to buy it at regular price on amazon

Porter, BigCabDaddy and Spyder like this.
  5. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

That's it I'm moving to the US to get the good deals on shave gear!

Jorvaljr, BigCabDaddy and Spyder like this.
  6. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

I tried it again today. I don't know what I did the first time but this time I was able to get a much better lather. I still don't like the smell. For some reason it makes me think of something decaying.
    I'm sure it's just me but yuck I just can't stand the smell. I can still smell it on my skin after an entire day. Think I'm going to have to pass on this one.

Jorvaljr and BigCabDaddy like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

I think somewhere in the instruction book it says to rinse thoroughly after use.

:)

Spyder and BigCabDaddy like this.
  8. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

there are pros and cons of a strong scent ...

i really like getting just a hint of tabac late in the afternoon ... it fires me up and helps me get my second wind to finish the day

9. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

@Jbrew I'm also in Canada and I know what you mean for shipping, especially with our dollar what it is. I'll PM you a link for a Tabac puck on Amazon, just in case you don't have it.

10. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, what didn't work for you for Tabac, performance wise? My initial impressions with Tabac would also put it below B&M, but I still like the slickness and I actually get fairly good protection out of it. The lather to me seemed to get small bubbles in it which made it seem a little thin, but it never actually affected the shave for me.
    If it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work, no need to feel pressured to love Tabac.

Tdmsu likes this.
  11. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Is tabac a must have soap? I've been so focused on grabbing up all of the razors on my wish list that I haven't been looking at different soaps. I only have one shave soap currently. It's D.R. Harris Windsor. Gotta start upping my software game now. uploadfromtaptalk1454792807914.jpg

12. Porter

Porter Well-Known Member

That's a tough call. There are a ton of really good soaps out there, and what each person likes differs, as you can see from this thread.

13. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely. I tend to like spice and woodsy scents more than anything little citrus undertone as well.

14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This is a soap I haven't tried yet. One day.

15. hrairy

hrairy Well-Known Member

The first time I used it I found the lather to be somewhat lacking, it didn't feel slick and I hated the smell. Upon my second attempt, I was able to get a good lather. I don't know what I did wrong the first time. The slickness was OK but I still didn't care for the scent.
    One comment suggested I let the soap air and age a bit. Maybe the scent will grow on me?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  16. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Tabac is a "classic." But many today are into "artisanal" soaps instead. There is no right or wrong. Just a matter of personal preference. For me DE shaving is a step back in time, so therefore I prefer traditional items like Tabac.

Spyder likes this.
  17. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Same here. I really like classic scents especially ones that remind me of a classic barber shop scent.

18. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

The smell grew on me, but Tabac is my bae. It's the soap by which I judge all others.

19. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I don't. Over time it will soften up greatly. And a little goes a long ways with Tabac. A puck will last you years.

20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I ordered some, last night. $11.99 + free shipping.

Porter, BigCabDaddy and Spyder like this.