My Straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by SignpainterMark, Feb 6, 2016.

1. HessDovo straights----resized.jpg I tried posting this before, but it was too high resolution I guess. I fiddled around and I think this should work------hopefully, the image is still clear. These are the 2 straights I've owned and the Walnut case I built for it. Brown felt lining. I've sold both, but then bought ANOTHER Dovo of the same model! I guess it's time to make another box.......:S

Mark

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet stuff right there, boys! :happy088::happy088:

SignpainterMark likes this.
  3. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Those old Hess 44's are awesome straights :happy088:.

Robyflexx and SignpainterMark like this.
  4. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

Beautiful straights and great craftsmanship on the wood box!

Robyflexx and SignpainterMark like this.
  5. I could never get it to take as good of an edge as my Dovo, so I sold it. It was cool-looking though!

Segafan#1 likes this.
  6. Segafan#1

Segafan#1 Well-Known Member

My only straight is the dovo astrale..... I have only attempted 3 straight razor shaves.... And let's say I'm not that good at them yet lol

7. I think my whiskers are basically little steel filaments, so although I gave straight razors a good shot, I just prefer good old DE's (my Merkur HD) much better. Once in a while, I'll still pull out the Dovo, but I sold my Hess '44'.

8. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I was thinking, "those razors look pretty nice, but that box is what really makes it" then I read lower that you are the one that made it! Buddy, you should market those! I don't know how much your cost is, but if the price is affordable, I would expect they would sell themselves.:drool:

9. Thanks----yeah, I've thought a lot of my projects would 'sell themselves' too once I got to a certain level of proficiency, but like a lot of nice things, it takes more time and work than you'd think, and trying to make it 'worth it' would require a price that's probably higher than most people are interested in paying.

Also, with the variations in size and razor shapes, I'd probably have to request a traced outline of each razor for each case I made like this----it's called a 'French-fitted' case when you have cut-outs that match an item's profile. Of course, I could make a big empty box that would 'fit all', but there's nothing custom about that and the razor would kind of swim in it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Mr. Oldschool likes this.
  10. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

I hear you there. If I find myself in possession of a razor worthy of a box like that, I may come knocking down the road.