Proraso Shave Stick

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Jayaruh, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    proraso_stick.JPG
    So, this is what the bottom of a Proraso Shaving Soap container looks like. I had an empty deodorant container and loaded it with my remaining Proraso Shave Soap. I got it in April of 2012. I had used more than half. I discovered that I could just take a bit of soap on the tip of my finger and rub it on my beard and then begin face-lathering. With the stick, I just rub it on my beard and then face-lather. I am going to try to finish off the remaining Proraso. It is an excellent soap.

I like using the sticks I have, and they travel well, too. I am thinking of making a blade disposal bank out of the empty container.

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

How did you get it to the deodorant container? I know you can melt some soaps and pour into the container and then let harden. How did you accomplish that with the Proraso this time?

You are quite creative, Jim! I enjoy it when you share your projects.

Redfisher, Jayaruh and clint64 like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Well done Jim. I have done the same thing with many soaps. On most I don't melt and pour but just scoop some out and pack it in the stick a little at a time.

Redfisher, Boojum1 and Jayaruh like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I use Arm and Hammer stick deodorant. When I finish one, I just clean it up and set it aside. For the Proraso, I just used a teaspoon and scooped it out and pressed it down into the empty container. I pealed off the sticker and put it on the new container.

5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That is exactly what I did with my Arko.

Redrock, clint64 and Boojum1 like this.
  6. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Well done. Gotta give this a try.

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I took a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap and a puck of Tabac. Using a cheese grater, I obtained about a half cup of "flakes" from each puck, and blended them together in a bowl, just using my fingers. I took an empty plastic twist-up tube and pushed the mixed flakes down into the tube. I used the handle of a wooden kitchen spoon to pack it in, adding an occasional drop of water -- not too tight, or the twist-up will struggle to advance the soap.

These are two of my favorite soaps, and the half & half blend is superb. Shaving sticks of all kinds are good -- homemade or from the net.

8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That sounds like a great mix.

Robyflexx likes this.
  9. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this, Jayaruh. I have to be honest here and tell you I totally stole your idea. But instead of using Proraso soap, I converted a puck of VDH Deluxe soap into stick form. I melted the puck in a coffee mug and then poured it into an empty deodorant-style stick wax container. Thanks for posting this. I never would have thought to do this without reading your thread here.

Here's what mine looks like:
    IMG_0197.JPG

opsimath, theFAT98, Robyflexx and 3 others like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    That is cool. My first was with the Col. Conk Amber. It works great.
    1col_conk_amber1.jpg

theFAT98 and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I came in here ready to chastise you for defiling Proraso soap. But now I'm here to congratulate on this fantastic idea! I also really like the idea of turning the tub into a bade bank! That's perfect.

Robyflexx and Jayaruh like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Here it is. I cut a slot in the top of the lid and glued an old Astra blade over it for decoration.
    100_2826.JPG

theFAT98, Mr. Shaverman and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Mike Brown

Mike Brown Well-Known Member

That is a really good looking blade bank. I use a large prescription bottle with slit cut in lid-----when full take another bottle and exchange caps, then discard full bottle in trash, reusing your cap with slit over and over.

theFAT98 and Robyflexx like this.