What did you use for your first wet shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Segafan#1, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

I shaved with cartridge razors and canned goo for about 3 decades, then I switched to electric razors for a few years.

My first DE setup last spring looked like this:

- Mühle R89
    - Personna Platinum blades
    - Edwin Jagger Pure Badger
    - Florena Shaving Cream

Went surprisingly well. Just a few very minor nicks and skin irritations during the first week, after that, everything was fine. I kept this setup for a few weeks, then I discovered Wet Shaving Forums...

Omelmad likes this.
  2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

VDH Black Handle Boar Brush
    VDH glycerin soap (not sure which one, but it was pinkish)
    Feather Popular
    Derby Blade

Segafan#1 and RyX like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I started out with a Schick L injector razor and Noxzema Medicated Comfort Shave. Notice the Pal injector in the commercial.
    Schick L_01.jpg

Sir.$-Mad, Segafan#1 and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I can't remember what soap i used, but the razor was a Feather TTO with Feather blades - boy were my cheeks red afterwards

5. whiteboy_cannon

whiteboy_cannon Well-Known Member

Sounds like the deluxe

6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

TracII and a can of Foamy probably. That was a long time ago.

Shaver X likes this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

It came in the kit with the blue/green bowl.

whiteboy_cannon and RyX like this.
  8. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Same here.

Now if the OP means what did I use for my first traditional wetshave (i.e. with a safety razor), that would be:

Merkur 34C razor
    Merkur blade
    Kiss My Face mint shaving cream
    Dovo pure badger brush

A lousy first few shaves thanks to the Merkur blade. Switching to a Derby blade resulted in excellent shaves, and then I was hooked.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

EJ 89
    Omega Pro 49
    TOBS Sandalwood.

10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Boy you know you're getting old when you're first razor was a brand new Gillette DE direct from the pharmacy..lol nos..and a can of Barbasol. I remember the stripes on the can and the lather smelled good..:D

Segafan#1 and RyX like this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I remember those days too, starting out with dad's se and buying my very own Gillette black beauty down at the corner five and dime. But I don't count that towards my recent" conversion" :)

12. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I think they were selling the super A but that one was more expensive, so I went with what I think is an M1..oh to go back in time. I'm guessing you didn't keep the BB...

13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My first DE shave was in April 2014 with an Edwin Jager DE89. Not sure what blade, probably a Derby, and some Barbasol canned goo (I know because I still have it). Remember it was an decent shave, not great, but acceptable.

Spyder likes this.
  14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I also started traditional wet shaving with the Razorock Mission. It is very good value.

Spyder likes this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

VDH delux set and a Dorco pace4 razor. Soon after came a RR Mission. And then the many ADS set in ...

16. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

First DE shave was with a cheap Shaving Factory razor, Badger Shaving Soap, Astra SP, and a Marvy brush (total junk, fell apart in less than a week the whole knot fell out). It was a terrible shave, and it took experimenting with different equipment to keep me DE shaving, because the first shaves were so bad that I was about to give up and go back to cartridge razors. So glad I had patience and kept practicing because wet shaving has changed my life for the better. Not just getting better shaves, but it changed my personality and made me a better person.

Segafan#1 likes this.
  17. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

I started first with the VDH deluxe kit to get a soap and a boar brush. I obtained a couple more soaps, including Proraso Red and TOBS Lavender that I used for a month or two with carts before I decided to try and find a really cheap DE razor. I ended up with a Lord L6 from Amazon and used the Lord blade that came with it for my first shave. I have not looked back. Just passed the L6 on to a person at work so they could try their hand at DE shaving. They bought the VDH kit and I gave them some soap samples. So far so good for them too!

18. GMPTA

GMPTA Active Member

60's Gillette Flair tip (L-code)
    Gillette Silver Blue blade
    Parker Pure Badger brush
    C.O. Bigelow cream

Pretty good shave for my very first attempt, and first attempt of something other than electric in several years. Went two or three passes WTG only, and ended up with one or two weepers, and very minimal burn on my neck

19. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

My first razor I used was a TTO Super Speed I got back in 1964, canned goo and SS blades . Still have that razor, even though I did not use it for years. Went to Trac II for a while, but when I found I could still get DE blades, I went back to it.

Greg W.

20. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I only started wet shaving back in october 2015 don't really remember what got me started.. I'm thinking about that now as I'm writing this but I went into Walgreens bought the van der Hagen shave kit with the bore brush, soap and stand and then went on Amazon and bought the feather popular with the feather blades wow what a great razor that is. that got me hooked. now pretty much the only razor I use is the Gillette super adjustable black beauty. if I have 3 or 4 days growth I will use some other razors that I have bought but my skin is like tissue paper so the adjustable really works best fore me.

Segafan#1 and ninjack like this.