1-2 shaves out of a blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Regan, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

For some reason I seem to only get 1 maybe 2 good shaves out of my Wilki blades. I was wondering if there are some blades that will give me more shaves per blade? I have a pretty coarse beard and was wondering if I should just try a carbon steel blade to see how that works with my beard. After the first or second shave i start to get nicks and weepers and such. I like the shave i get the first couple times but after that the blade is garbage to me.

I currently shave and after the shave shake the razor. Take out the blade and then carefully dry the razor and the blades careful not to cut myself or ruin the edge.

Thanks in advance any info would be helpful.:D

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

It could simply be the type of blade. There are some blades that I can get 5 or more good shaves. There are some that 5 is pushing it. There are a lot of blades that I can only get 2-3 shaves out of. If I recall, the Wilkonsons sold at Walmart last about 2 shaves and I can push it to get 3, but its not worth it.

A carbon blade will start off sharper, but may deteriorate faster.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I easily get five 3-pass shaves out of every blade, no matter the brand, DE or SE, by hand stropping.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogq4wfpT7hc

I've gotten seven 3-pass shaves, but I find it easier to put in a new DE blade every Monday (hand strop first), then hand strop after every shave, and toss the blade after Friday's shave. Weekends are for str8s (Saturdays) and SEs (Sundays)!

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I have some other blades that I am going to try, because merkurs in a diffrent razor lasted longer but not as good of a shave. Thanks for the info, I will try hand stropping to see if that helps.

5. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

What other blades have you tried? I can get 5 shaves out of a Gem (Ted Pella SS coated) and a 7-O'Clock Black. Most others I can get 3-4 shaves depending on days between shaves and prep. Shaving every day seems to help blade longevity. If I have 2 or more days of growth going for each shave I might only get 2 shaves from a blade. Conversely, I think face lathering increases blade life by softening the beard, enabling perhaps one extra shave.

6. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Only other blades i have given a fair chance were derby and merkur and then the wilki.

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Try Shark Super Stainless, Lord Platinum, Astra Superior Platinum, SuperMax Super Platinum, 7oclock Yellow, Voskhod. These blades all should give even the toughest beards at least 5 shaves.

8. I used to do two beards with a razor blade, whatever it is .... Typically the blade wilkinson (which I think is good anyway) is' 2-3 shaves, nothing compares with a feather or Gillette Platinum Shave capable of 5-6! The carbon steel blades can be used but 'do not last long, and personally I am not fond of them!
    My news' are called Muster super platinum and Satinex Platinum plus, surely now my two favorite!

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just a little disclaimer, there are several schools of thought on hand stropping...

1) It works. It smoothes the blade and extends the life.
    2) It doesn't work. Don't waste your time.
    3) Don't know if it works or not. Don't care. Blades are cheap enough I don't bother.

I believe it works. But, hey, can't hurt, might help. If nothing else it dries the blade and puts an ever-so-light coat of oil from my palm onto the blade.

10. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Ya i know i figure... I have a couple extra wilkis, I will try to hand strop see if i can get 3 shaves out of them. I have also used a shark blade and gave a bad shave the first shave and a slightly better one the second. Will pop another one in tomorrow morning and give them another shot.

11. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

I strop and 90 alc % blade and razor after each use ,also think it helps , got a good number of shaves off the voskhod blades .. hope it helps

12. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

thanks i have yet to try voskhod blades. I got a pack PIFd a while ago. I also have never seen 90% alcohol here. At least all i have seen has been 70 or 75% I assume it would work nearly identical. I will try and get some 90% to clean the blades better.

13. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Personna Medical Preps.. about .20 each. I change every Monday. Even if I had to change twice a week the screwing around handling the blade just ain't worth it to me. of course YMMV. Sat is no shave day and Sun is straight day.

14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Maybe there is a different beard prep routine you can try so as to soften the whiskers a bit more?

15. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I was thinking of that. But currently I shower, wash face, apply some conditioner to face to soften the stubble. Then I make the lather, splash hot water a couple times on my face and then apply lather. I have yet to try pre-shave oil or any other pre-shave balm or anything.

16. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

musgo lime gly soap is a great pre shave soap

17. Str8shvr

Str8shvr New Member

TSD makes a great... and i mean GREAT :bounce017 pre shave balm. The way i use TSD's is hop in shower real quick wash face rinse face then apply balm to all facial hair. (smells great) then continue on w/ my shower wash body wash hair then I wip up lather in the shower. Clean off face to open pours up even more then lather and shave right away! works very well and softens facial hair VERY well! Oh and I use Feathers i get like 4/5 (3 pass) good shaves outta them!

18. onotoman

onotoman Member

I have pretty tough 'Desperate Dan' stubble but I always manage to get around 5 to 7 good shaves from:

Derby
    Perma-Sharp
    Timor

I only get one or two from Merkur or Astra blades and for some reason I find Feather Blades too sharp, if that makes any sense.

Hope this helps