1 kg Cella? Go for it!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by mikewood, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

54 is not too late to start aggressive manscaping.

That is how I use up my soaps. :D

Spyder, Slow Joe, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

TMI!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nope. Not hap'nin.

4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I didn't think so.:rofl:

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

oh, You're the guy with the den that looks like it was built under and around your soaps :)

6. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

How long does soap last before it becomes rancid? Does it become rancid?

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have some soaps 40-50 years old and still smell and perform great.
    I have a RazoRock soft soap maybe 3 years old, no issues.

RaZorBurn123 and Slow Joe like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

There are just a lot of stories on forums about Cella going "rancid" if it sits too long. Whether these are urban myths or not, I don't know. A had a tub that definitely changed color (got dark) after a year and a half or so, but it still smelled and worked fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Only one soap I ever tossed that I thought might have turned. Marvy brand I bought from a local shop. Don't know how long it sat on their shelf. I put it in a mug, shaved several times, forgot about it when I found better soaps. When I brought it back out and tried again it smelt rancid like thin sliced ham that has passed it's freshness date long enough you wouldn't feed it to the dog. Maybe the cat if it was an outside cat. Maybe.
    marvy-mug-soap.gif

10. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Yeah bro, it would go rancid in your collection. Even if you and another few of us shared the block it would go rancid in my collection. That and cella got an 8/10 last time I shaved with it... Not really that great.

11. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

I suspect it depends on how you store it. If it sits out in the sun in a hot room, a cream/croap will probably go bad at some point. If kept in a cool place, it will likely last a long time. I doubt a hard puck will ever go bad.

Slow Joe likes this.
  12. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

You can get a 1 kilo block from TVBShaving.Com for 12.70 euro if outside Europe. That's about $14-$15 dollars.

13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Cella burns my face, but I have gone through over a Kilo of both Klar Kabinett and Arko Shave Sticks in the past.

If I didn't keep the KK vacuum packed, the scent would disappear before finishing it. Going in bulk is not a bad way to go, if you can stomach the soap. I liked KK , but by the end of the 5th stick of it I was beyond sick of it and ended up giving the rest away in PIFs. Even if you really really really like Cella, it will be hard to stomach after using it non stop for the next couple of years. Arko works great for me and travels well. I like a little more variety these days, but I still have about 2.5 cases of arko to use up.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

Any tallow soap with superfatted tallow at the end will go rancid over time. The best way to combat this is to saponify the tallow and coconut oil first and add stearic acid in a later stage as it will not go Rancid. Most commercial soapers do the stearic acid at the end trick.

15. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

I have a tub of Cella and have used it for about ~20 shaves and you can barely tell by looking at it that it has even been used. Can't even imagine how long 1 KG would last.

RyX likes this.
  16. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

P-160 and Panama 1924 leaves my face dry, so I wouldn't dare. I have a hard time using the same soap two days in a row, anyway

17. PickledNorthern

I really liked Cella. It is a good soap. It was one of the first soaps I tried when I started coming around forums. But I found that Stirling Almond Creme smells almost the same, is slicker, isn't going to go bad on me while sitting in a big rotation, and doesn't leave white film all over my hardware.

RyX likes this.
  18. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Cella turns rancid? That is rather surprising. I don't remember ever seeing soap spoil, even after sitting out for years. The price is certainly right for the 1 kg block, and it would last a long time.

19. PickledNorthern

Keep reading.

20. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

to each their own, I am a heavy loader, very heavy. I basically have to reload the brush for every pass I make with cella, but oddly after 80 shaves, I still really cant see any change in the tub.

And yes it has little white rice like chunks in it. I don't care. I just lather on with it.