1906 gold script case 00G Combination set.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morman Bridge, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hi all, I am hoping anyone with more knowledge than I can give me a little,(or a lot) information about these sets. So far most of the people I have talked to have never even seen one. Can someone, (or several people) post any knowledge about the early gold Single Ring standard, and combination sets?
    Here are a couple of hurried photos of my set so you can see what it is-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully Achim @mr-razor will chime in as well. His input would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks for your interest folks.
    Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have always wondered if these were early travel sets are more because there was not a lot bathrooms with running water so they needed to keep things together somewhere. Maybe I did not explain that so good. Beautiful set anyway it goes.

AGHisBBS and Morman Bridge like this.
  3. Morman Bridge

Hi @wchnu , I think you are probably correct in your assumption that there were few bathrooms with running water at the time (1906), and the traveler would have to keep all his shaving gear minimal, and together in as compact a box or container as possible. It would make it easier to keep track of as you carried it to whatever creek or stream you had to wash and shave at. Most people were still traveling by horses or trains and such like. It would be easier to stow when space is limited.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Nice set there.

Morman Bridge likes this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thank you for the reply Alan. Good to know others think like I do.

Morman Bridge likes this.
  6. Morman Bridge

Thank You Jim!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

It´s a great set. I´ve never seen it, can´t help.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  8. Morman Bridge

Wow Achim, do you have any early 00G Combination sets? This one is a 1906. Is it safe to say this Combination set is the only early set in existence? I knew it was rare, but I didn't realize it was that rare. What was the earliest Known 00G Combination set before this one came along , that you know about? Your help is greatly appreciated. Please Achim, tell us what you know about the oldest known 00G Combination sets.

9. mr-razor

10. Morman Bridge

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your returning to this thread and sharing that advertisement. So your set must be older than mine. I wonder if mine was one of the first 00G Combination sets to use the gold script on the lid, instead of the banner?

11. Morman Bridge

12. mr-razor

why do you think, yours is from 1906. What is the serial number? Are there some patent informations?

13. Morman Bridge

Hi Achim, the serial number is on the inner shaft, it is G4?4727. It has the Nov 15-04 patent date on the smooth band at the bottom of the outer handle. There are no markings on the comb guard. Neither top, nor bottom. It also has the early rubberset brush, with Gillette printed on the side of the brush. The gold plating is very robust on all pieces. I believe this set is genuine. It also has what I believe to be a sealskin liner on the lid and interior of the brown leather case. The interior of the lid also has the word Gillette in gold script on it.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I thought G... meant 1918?

15. Morman Bridge

Hi, if this Single Ring were from 1918, the serial number would be on the top of the comb guard. On my razor it is on the inner shaft. Also, there are no Gillette logos, nor is the typical of 1918 made in USA inscription on it. The script lettering on the lid indicates the razor set was made prior to the use of the Gillette diamond and arrow logo. I am not exactly sure, but I think the serial numbers on Single Rings was placed on the inner shaft before 1913, and on the comb guard after 1913. I think the Gillette diamond was not used until after 1908. On early Single Rings the G on the inner shaft in front of the serial number indicated gold plating.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  16. mr-razor

the serial number change from the inner barrel to the base plate was 1908/1909. The change from the ribbon to the script logo was 1906, the change from the script logo to the diamond logo was 1909. Your serial number is from 1906 and the G means Gold and not 1918. It´s a very interesting set.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  17. Morman Bridge

Thank You Achim! Do you know of any similar sets? Can you tell me anything else about this set, or any other set like it?

Jorvaljr likes this.
  18. mr-razor

no, your set is new for me

Jorvaljr likes this.
  19. Morman Bridge

Thank you very much for your expertise and time. I greatly appreciate your help.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  20. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Congrats Alan on this very pretty and unique find! Your collection had always impressed me and your finds continue to do so.