1912 GEM

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Razorhound, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

Does the handle look like original GEM stock handle? s-l1600.jpg gem.jpg

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

That looks like a Damaskeene. What does it say when you open the razor?

3. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

It says GEM in the photo. It just does not look like handles I am used to seeing on a GEM.

4. Norcalnewb

Check out this thread:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gem-damaskeene.10740/

The Damaskeene was the first issue of the 1912. There are three versions: the Damaskeene, the Brooklyn (usually called the 1912), and the Junior. They are obviously all similar, but the shave feels a bit different, IMO. I find I like the Damaskeene the best, but that is totally a preference thing. All are great. The Damaskeene handle matches your handle, as it appears the patent stamp.

Razorhound likes this.
  5. Norcalnewb

Actually the more I look, the more I would say it may not be a Damaskeene. The handle is a bit different, and the patent date stamp is a little different. The handle looks similar to an Ever-Ready 1914. Your initial thoughts may be right, this may be a different handle on a 1912 head.

Razorhound likes this.
  6. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

It is for sale on the bay and head anyway is GEM. Head looks in real good shape and if sold for $5 I might overlook the handle but is selling for 5 times that. In that territory I like original equipment. But I dont know for sure.

Linuxguile and TobyC like this.
  7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Looks like a 1912 with a 1914 handle to me, if so, the handle has the small threads and is made of steel. Nothing wrong with that, I like those handles.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  8. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

Yes I stand in error, more digging uncovered a few examples.

Linuxguile and TobyC like this.