1914 razor, is this normal

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slow Joe, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I saw this on ebay and noticed that the razor cap, I don't know if that is the correct terminology, basically the lid on the razor has a bend in the middle. It can be seen just above the razor blade. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No.

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I know that my 1914 doesn't look like that.

4. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Is that bent? Or, is it worn? Looks to me that it might be worn, but that would still not be normal.

5. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Thanks guys. I had been seriously thinking of buying it. Its a shame as it's part of a really nice box set.

Sent from my LG-V480 using Tapatalk

6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Could something be up with the spring?

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I know that on mine the top only touches the blade at the ends and there's a slight gap in the center. You would really have to look for it. It's nowhere near the gap on the one you show. Also, I recall reading a post on the injector and SE thread where someone commented that a slight gap in the center of the cap of a 1914 is normal.

There are usually a few for sale on eBay at any given time. They are great razors and I love the way mine shaves.

Slow Joe and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. spidey9

spidey9 Well-Known Member

A slight gap is normal. On most of my 1914's I can slip the corner of a blade between the cap and the blade right at the center, so I'd estimate the gap around .010." The gap on the razor in question appears to be considerably larger than that.

I don't think it's "normal" but as long as the blade is held securely against the stops it should be safe to use.

--Bob

Slow Joe, Jim99 and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

X2

Slow Joe likes this.
  10. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

yup I saw that razor too and asked the seller if there is warping on the top cap, no answer! I really dislike sleezy sellers like that that say No returns accepted, look at pictures for state of the razor... Well why in heck don't he just write Hey look the cap is bent FYI. No honesty now a days

Slow Joe, Jim99 and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I see two issues here.
    1) it appears the blade is not seated properly and looks like it's sitting on, rather than under the stops. Look at the blade, it is warped.
    2) the cap looks okay but the lighting makes it look wonky.

Jim99 and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine has a gap in the center, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim99, gorgo2 and Terry Williams like this.
  13. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

that bulge is so minor that wont make difference in SE razor, DE would have an issue with such imperfection.

Slow Joe likes this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Yes. Now that I look at it again, the blade is bent.

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It looks bent. Place it on something flat. You should be able to see if the top cap is bent. If it is, it should be easy to straighten. You should be able to take the cap off, easily if you need to do the work.

16. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

is this a common thing with the 1914 models? whether a big or minor bulge on the top cap, or there are actually 1914 razors that the top cap is inline with the blade itself and has no bulge?

Slow Joe likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I was alerted to this condition a while back, so I checked mine out. Mine has a bulge in the middle too. I don't know if there are razors out there with no bulge. It is certainly an aggressive razor though.

Slow Joe likes this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Looks fine to me. The "frown" on the lid makes sense to me. Old blades were thick/stiff enough (modern ones too) that having extra pressure on the ends where the stops are would help stabilize things possibly more than even pressure all the way across. But I could be wrong.

Slow Joe likes this.
  19. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, on the other GEM models, well some of them while there is no such bulge but I can testify that the top cap does not align perfect with the protective bar, I'm speaking of very minor misalignment, but inn no way the shave is unsteady or I get irritations. GEM razors gives me the best shaves ever with the PTFE blades, I just received today 400 GEM PTFE and 300 PTFE Injector blades from Connaught, sadly enough the only time I will be able to test out the Injector ones is when I receive the Supply Provision V2 razor and it will be me very first injector razor lol. Hope I like the PTFE Injector blades considering I bought 300 of them, but people say they are very smooth,sharp and people get out of them up to 6 very good shaves with possibility of stretching to 10 shaves, I'll be happy with 6 shaves just fine and if they are 90% of the performance GEM PTFE I'm sure I'll be happy with them.

Redfisher and Jim99 like this.
  20. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Well if they stop making blades tomorrow you should be set for 20 years or so.