1930's Gillette New Open comb vs 1964 Slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by cigarlover, Jun 20, 2016.

1. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

OK guys !!!!

The Open comb is the DE razor that started me off and I've been using it ever since. I tried the Slim today on 4,5,6 settings and none of them shaved half as good as my Open comb ? What gives ? Is it just being a newbie to shaving ? I tried to play with the angle but It just seemed like a rough shave. I went right back to my Open Comb and finished up with a great shave.

whiteboy_cannon, AGHisBBS and preidy like this.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Billy Goatee, AGHisBBS and cigarlover like this.
  3. cigarlover

AGHisBBS and Red Rider like this.
  4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Slims are good but the New sets the standard for vintage DE's IMO!

AGHisBBS, Dzia Dzia and cigarlover like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The head geometry is different, requiring you to hold the handle at a different angle. I find that with my tto's the angle required is more parallel to the floor then my 3 pieces. Reference the " ride the cap" link in my signature. You can get just as good of a shave out of the slim, but it may require a few more shaves to get acquainted with it. That being said I still prefer the 3 piece razors, the angle is just more natural for me.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS and cigarlover like this.
  6. Red Rider

Yes and don't get me started on RFB razors.

7. cigarlover

This could very well be !!! I get a good shave with my 1940's Tech as well as my New

8. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

It took months to get a good shave with my Slim. I was so frustrated because I had read such good things about it. Then it all clicked. I get great shaves with it now, but it is entirely different from my OT. I would recommend you persevere.

shoe13950 and preidy like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'll agree with the difference in head geometry being the main factor between the two shaves. The slim shaves best at an angle different from the New OC. Experiment a bit with the slim and you will achieve great shaves.

preidy likes this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I agree with you. I find the New LC smoother and more efficient than the Slim. While I can get a very good comfortable shave with the Slim I do not like using it all. It stays around merely because it is one of the 2 razors made in my birth year.

preidy likes this.
  11. Red Rider

I'm a huge fan of the early Gillette Tech. My convert razor for introduction back to wet shaving no months of trial just intuitive no drama great shave.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    shoe13950 likes this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

To sum up - you just gotta learn how to use the tools ya got.
    Each one is different, and having 30+ DEs, I know, I've learned, each one can give a DFS, and even the occasional BBS.

13. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Agree the NEW is one smooth son-of-a-gun. The only TTO that rivals my SC or LC is my Rocket 500. But Slim's still a great razor in it's own right.

AGHisBBS, Jim99 and cigarlover like this.
  14. Red Rider

A keeper TTO would be my Gillette 1947 Aristocrat.

Cearball, cigarlover, preidy and 3 others like this.
  15. cigarlover

I need to get one to go with my collection

16. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

I really like my slim. I get really similar results with my old type.

I keep hearing great things about the new. I've been stalking eBay for one that I like.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cigarlover likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree that my shaves with open comb Gillettes are generally better than with either my Slim or Short Black Beauty. But on the other hand, when you get used to holding the adjustables at a different angle they start to really shine, especially when I don't shave for a few days. While an open comb can handle days of beard growth, my Slim or Black Beauty really works well on those occasions.

cigarlover likes this.
  18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Yep

19. cigarlover

No doubt !!! but I love the New so much and the shave it gives I don't even want to pick the slim back up :)

clint64 likes this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I agree with you. I will pick my slim up some during my the week of my birthday since it is my birth year razor. Otherwise, I don't see using it.

cigarlover and Red Rider like this.