1930's Gillette New

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by seamus402, Oct 16, 2007.

1. seamus402

seamus402 You don't mess with Big Slim

Wow, is this an aggresive shaver or what. Great shave, but a slight bit of burn - not too bad. That has not happened since a newbie to wet shaving. Hmmmmm - need to work with this one. I like that fact that I am using a 70+ years old razor.

2. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

It's always fun to take an oldie for a spin. It could have been much worse if you didn't have the shaving skills you have! Enjoy!

3. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Someone once said to me on these forums, "imagine of these razors could talk, imagine the stories they could tell." I have a 104 year old shaver that could probably tell some tales that would make my hair stand on end.

4. seamus402

seamus402 You don't mess with Big Slim

I agree completely, I have a 1904 sitting also on my desk. 103 years old, what stories could be told, trips that it has been on. I plan on taking her for a shave, just one, maybe two. Waiting for the right special occasion.

5. Stubble

Stubble Member

I also have a '30s open comb NEW, and really like the razor. But, it will give you a bit of a 'burn' if you aren't careful. That razor has a heavier head, so you have to be very careful with the downward pressure you apply to the razor. It also shaves at a very different angle than the SuperSpeeds etc. etc.

It is a good razor, and one you should enjoy for a long time. Good luck with it.
    Ken

6. 2Sharp

2Sharp New Member

I have found that on my older open comb techs that they are more aggressive than the bar type. My Merkur 12c is also a bit more aggressive than I like.

bj

7. rainman

rainman New Member

Funny that you refer to the NEW's as open comb techs. That is basically how I see them.

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

They are basically the same. They have the same cap. The bar handle on the NEW is the same thickness, length and mass as the fat handled tech. It just a different knurling pattern on the handle and the bottom plate on a NEW is a comb and a safety bar on the tech.

I like to think of the tech as the cheapened and safety barred NEW.

9. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Er, this is 2009 isn't it? Wouldn't that be 105 years old? :p

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Not when the post was in 2007...

11. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

and boom goes the dynamite.

12. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

:happy102

Sometimes, I want to be your best friend, Ray.

Sometimes.

13. freddy88

freddy88 Member

I loved my NEW from the first time I used it. I get incredible shaves from it and, as others have pointed out, I love that it has a history. I enjoyed it so much that I purchased a second one for travel. :D