1930's OC Gillette Aristocrat

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by alpla444, Jun 12, 2012.

1. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Made from 1934-1937 (thanks for the info Jody:yoda)

Im gonna guess its 1936 as I got it from Germany, and with 1936 being an olympic year maybe thats how it ended up there:signs002:
    P1040089(1).JPG P1040090(1).JPG P1040091(1).JPG
    The above pic with the duck is after cleaning not looking too bad inside for what could be 80 years of neglect, how fitting that it should be bought in an olympic year and in the host country again,
    I did try it not that much to shave after yesterdays R-41 mow down. but it felt great agressive and it really did sing.
    P1040092(1).JPG P1040093(1).JPG P1040093(1).JPG
    Condition could be better but for £32.00 Im not gonna complain, never thought Id get an OC for that price, will prob get it replated next month.

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Looks a decent find Alpha. If the machine is functioning alright then a re plate should truly make the grade..:2thumbs:Though what I really like is your rubber duck!.:eek:

alpla444 likes this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Excellent score! The best razor Gillette ever made IMHO. :git:

alpla444 likes this.
  4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Beautiful find! One of these babies is the reason I'm going straight after work through the antique shops here in Kingston ;)

alpla444 likes this.
  5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I was sick of looking at Jody's one lol. shocked I got it at that price, ie cheaper than a FB

IAmTheJody likes this.
  6. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

That's awesome, Dean. Very nice pickup. But did you have to post pics and talk about it? Now I'm on the bay looking.

alpla444 likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet score. :happy088: Enjoy!

alpla444 likes this.
  8. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Definitely the nicest aristocrat design of all.

alpla444 likes this.
  9. IAmTheJody

If you do decide to get it re-plated, this cat is in the UK and does fantastic work:
    http://www.restoredrazors.com/replating-and-restoration-services/

His name is Dave (aka onotoman across the shaving forum street)

I guess rhodium costs more in the UK because he charges $95 + shipping for that. Got mine done in rhodium for $65 shipped at Reliable here in the US. His nickel, gold and silver prices are the same as Reliable though.

alpla444 likes this.
  10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

yeah thats the one Id be using Ive see his page before, I think you mentioned it in another thread.:)

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great score! I'd like to lay my hands on an OC TTO as well! :drool:
    (nice duck!)

alpla444 likes this.
  12. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Great razor for a good price :happy088:
    Congrats

alpla444 likes this.
  13. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Great find, nice looking razor.

I like your Olympic Duck too.

alpla444 likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent score Dean! :happy088:

alpla444 likes this.
  15. onotoman

onotoman Member

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Also, with regards Rhodium and pricing - I use real Rhodium for plating (which gives a lovely whitish colour) some replaters advertise as 'Rhodium' but they actually use 'Palladium' which doesn't have that whitish sheen. Rhodium costs around £250 per 200ml of solution and this plates around 10 razors. Rhodium must be applied over Nickel, then Gold for maximum durability - so there is a lot of work and expensive chemicals involved.

PLANofMAN, IAmTheJody and alpla444 like this.
  16. IAmTheJody

Welcome back, Dave. I see it's been over a year since you've posted here. Don't be a stranger. :eatdrink047:

alpla444 likes this.
  17. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Very nice Dean, Looks in great condition considering it's age!!!!

18. OCRAZORMAN

OCRAZORMAN New Member

Do te
    Ll

Do Tell Dave, which plater's are using Palladium?? So Would You Say That The Handful of Guys that Plate Razors In Rhodium, Its Not The Case? And its Your Assumption That They Very Well are Using Palladium in Its Place.. Interesting....
    As you Mentioned is it Because of The Cost Factor...or What
    I Do Think The Wet Shaving Community can use This Info
    For any Future Projects.. Do Share With Us
    Cheers

19. onotoman

onotoman Member

Hi Ocrazorman,

When I was looking for a Rhodium birth year Slim, I bought one on Ebay a while back (before I offered anything other than nickel plating myself).

Not from a vendor on this forum or any other that I'm aware, I hasten to add) and it was described as Rhodium Plated Slim, when delivered, it looked very similar to ones I'd plated in bright nickel - it didn't have the very white sheen of Rhodium.

The plating woudn't strip in the nickel stripping tank either, so it had to be something else.

I sent it to a supplier that I use for my chemicals and he came back to me that it was in fact Palladium plated.

I woudn't want to give any direct names but I know for a fact that the company in question, outsources it's plating - so the fact that the razors are not Rhodium Plated may actually unknown to them.

This was the main driver to me obtaining the equipment and chemicals to do the job in-house.

So, just to be clear, the seller in question is not one of the platers with great reputations on the forums.

If a company selling razors or plating services outsources their plating, they really need to be aware of what they are getting and paying for.
    and then passing on to buyers.

Palladium is a nice looking metal but to me, it looks so similar to Bright Nickel as to be of little use in plating razors.

Best Wishes

Dave

20. OCRAZORMAN

OCRAZORMAN New Member

Hi Dave, Thanks for The Clarification. I Myself Have Experiences Some Simular Circumstances as Well...I completely Understand where Your Coming From... point well Taken.. And With That Being Said, I Do Hope That Any Plater or Reseller That Is Unaware Or Just Misleading The Consumer Move On As Well Or Called Out... I Do Know Myself as Well As every person in The Wet Shaving Community, Work Hard For THe Money Spent. And To Receive Something That isn't As Advertised. ITs Heartbraking.. So it L@@ks Like (Buyer Beware) And if Your Happy With A Go To Plater Or Restorer
    You Know The Answer.. We All Appreciate Your Craft and Hard Work Dave and Continue Doing What You Enjoy... Nice Work And Congrats From One Person That Enjoy's Sparkle and Shine. As Much as You..
    Regards Dave