1940s Super Speed and WWII restrictions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jbcohen, Dec 5, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

It is my understanding during the 40s (I was not born yet), there were restrictions on certain raw materiels such as metal and rubber. I have a great razor that was made during that time period. The question:

If there were restrictions on metal in the 40s how did Gillette manage to get a ahold of metal to make the wonderful Super Speed I have?

2. Will

Will Nevermind

WWII ended 1945; I Think Superspeeds were made after that.

As for other razors made during the war, I do not know, they may had the metal or used other materials.

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Right Will. The Ranger Tech (Grandfather of the SS) was made in 1941. Almost all production was stopped except for wartime use. Mostly Techs were made with black bakelight handles and blacked out tops, part of a camo kit. In other words, alternate materials. The SS came out in 47-48.

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

What sorts of materiels were used during the war?

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

read the post above yours

Raf

6. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Bronco uses the term "blacked out tops" what sort of materiel is this plastic, aluminimum?

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Don't know for sure, seems like pot metal with a coating. I know you can copper and nickel plate pot metal but there might be another chemical process to get the black color. It does wear off after time and is gray underneath. Someone with more knowledge about metals may have an idea or know for sure.

8. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Makes sense Bronco. What is pot metal? How is it used?

9. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Saw the answer on Wikipedia, its a type of metal with a low melting point, I guess Pot Metal would not be one of the materiels restricted during WWII so it would make sense that Gillette would make razors out of pot metal. I would not imagine that this would effect the effecitiveness of the shave. All of this makes a lot of sense glad y'all know so much about wet shaving.

10. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Can anyone attach a picture of a razor which was made during the WWII restrictions? This thread has got my curiosity going a mile a minute.

11. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

In the rear, the 41 Tanger Tech, In the middle a Gillette with a pressed (thin) metal blade bar with a pot metal (?) top and in the front an all plastic Simplex military razor.

[vbpg]1005[/vbpg]

12. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Nice pic Steve, you can really tell which it is. That bar looks wafer thin!

13. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Since 40's era super speeds have no date code how do you know what the date of manufacter is?

14. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

I use my reference books, remember?

15. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Oh, did not think about that and I do recall the thread on the reference books. I have been doubting the need for one, but I guess that I should lookup one at my local book shop.