1942(M)-1944(O) Tech Question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jr2, Jun 9, 2016.

1. jr2

jr2 Active Member

I am in search of a Gillette Tech with a date code of M,N, or O. Respectively the production years of 1942, 1943, and 1944.

All the Techs I find advertised for this time frame have no date code.

Now comes the question. Is the razor I bought with a base that has no date code from the war years, or did I buy A piece milled razor?

Also, has anyone found a M,N, or O from the war? Seems to be tough to find using date date code and year in the searches I have done.

Thanks in advance for any comments to come.

2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I'm not an expert, but I thought Gillette did not use date codes in the 1930's and 1940's. Those are called the NDC (No Date Code) years. They restarted date codes in 1951.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

From 1938 to 1945 techs had triangular shaped holes in the baseplate, after that the holes were more rectangular in shape. Herm is right about the date codes not starting until the 50's.

Herm2502 likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

This may help --->http://www.renaldo.us/grbd.php

5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

6. jr2

jr2 Active Member

Gentlemen, thank you for the help. I overlooked the detail about no date codes as well. I must have stopped reading an no seriel numbers. The razor I have had the triangle cut outs in the base plate. Much appreciated.

Jayaruh likes this.
  7. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Also, I believe none of the British versions ever used codes. I've had early and late Techs from the UK, none have had codes.

All my Techs have had rectangular holes, but without the date codes I can't be sure of the year and if an even earlier one from the UK would have had triangular holes.

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like those best.

9. jr2

jr2 Active Member

Me too. I ended up with one that I assumed was war era. Come to find out it is surely not, bit just the razor base. I got jumpy and started my homework late.

10. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

Mine has no date code on it

11. jr2

jr2 Active Member

I'll throw some photos up to show what happened with my purchases a bit later.

12. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

cigarlover likes this.