1947 Gillette Super Speed Safety Razor - no notch - MINT CONDITION

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Douglas Carey, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

My question is this really a Rare DE Super Speed?

1947BirthRazor.jpg

NewellVW, BenTTO and PatrickA51 like this.
  2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

What is the Gillette ID code on it?
    Looks to me as if it has been re-platted.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

The bottom is the same as the 1946-47 Aristocrat. No id no numbers.

BenTTO likes this.
  4. PatrickA51

Then I don't know what it is isn't on the inside (the ID )

5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say "rare". I see them on eBay often enough.

It's a nice SS by the looks of it. I wouldn't go crazy bidding on it.

PatrickA51 and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

No notch, no big deal?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

No big deal. I have he not notch and notched in this 1947 Super Speed. Both in mint. That's what I want.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

There ya go.
    Don't be too concerned with one that appears nasty either. In my experience, most Gillettes I've bought clean up very well. Mint? Maybe not. Very nice? More often than I deserve.

9. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Usually on ebay the word "rare" is used to justify a step up in price that is not justified, most times.
    If that is where the idea of rare came from, then as already mentioned, don't go crazy bidding on it.
    If it is already yours and you are just wondering, it's my understanding that what you have is a 1947 SS, which was the first year the 40s style SS appeared. In 1948 Gillette introduced a notched center bar, which was designed to take advantage of their new blade dispenser.
    So your razor was only produced for one year, which makes it unique, but not "rare" or in any way super valuable monetarily, IMO.

PatrickA51 and DEfettish like this.
  10. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

So true. That is how I got my Fatboy. It was in a lot of four really nasty looking Gillettes for $21. Cleaned it up and it looks almost like new.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is my birth year razor. I love it. Like @DEfettish said, it was the first year of the super speeds. It took me a long time to find mine, and because it was my birth year razor, I paid more for it than I would for any other super speed.
    47ss24.JPG

GDCarrington, Bobcat, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  12. PatrickA51

Do you mean so they can charge prices that are just short of extortion? The bad part is people pay them. I got a razor that according to posted picture and the e-bay dealer discription, said that it was in pristine condition.It was crap looked like it had been in the landfill.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    SRNewb and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beauty!!!:happy096:

PatrickA51 likes this.
  14. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Patrick, yep, that's what I mean.
    I don't do ebay, but I use completed auction listings to determine value like most people these days.
    I've seen this tactic enough that if I were actually using ebay for purchases, the word "rare" in a listing would immediately elicit an instinct to pass on by that listing.
    In fact, this is used in other places as well, for the same reason, although not as ubiquitously as on ebay. Anytime I see that word now, big fat alarm bells go off in my head.

Jayaruh and PatrickA51 like this.