1966 Gillette Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fangface, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Saw these at an antique store, bought a few packs. Now just have to go back to get the rest. What are your opinions on this blade? I have tried it, and the only thing I have to compare it to is the Van Der Hagen blades, as I cannot find anything else locally in the stores...

Attached Files:

Mouser and Tattoobob like this.
  2. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

here are some other pics from the same shop...

Attached Files:

3. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

shop

Attached Files:

4. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

gillette

Attached Files:

5. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

gillette

Attached Files:

6. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

gillette

Attached Files:

7. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I don't think I would use them. Collectors would love them, so I would put the on the bay.

8. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Thanks ObiDon, that's a good suggestion. Don't know how much I'll get for them, but they are $1.50 a pack. Lower price than those Van Der Hagen currently lol!!

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

DE Blades of the 1960s and early 1970s were the very best made because the competition was so fierce due to the fact that they were the cash cow of the razor / blade companies.

If they have been properly stored, the ones you have shown are excellent ... I know by experience.

gorgo2 likes this.
  10. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

I have to try and head back there to pick up the boxes...100 blades for $30! Wait, is that good or bad??

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Good move! :eatdrink047:

12. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

For almost 50 year old blades? Pretty good. But since it's an antique store I bet you can get them down a bit. ;)

13. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Actually "antique consignment store" each vendor has a booth or section with all their stuff in it. I am having a hard time finding stuff in town. Wish there was a thread by state so people can list places to find stuff lol

14. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Those where later labelled as The Spoiler and are considered by some to be one of the best blades ever made.

gorgo2 likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep. My favorite blade EVER. Got one in my Slim right now. They look sealed so they're pristine. Use them and enjoy them - they WILL spoil you!!!

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Absolutely. I found an identical box of Spoilers (same blade, just a little later) some years ago at an antique shop, before I knew how good they were. Paid around the same price they want for yours. Sold the box to someone in Canada, iirc, for around $100. But had I known how good they were, no way I'd have sold them. They are THAT good.

17. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Wish I had a store like to that over here.

18. nascarfandan

nascarfandan Active Member

Keep the blades. ...I'll take the picture of Marilyn:love055:

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Lol, yes there are two calendars there. Good eye, I'll get a pic of that later...

20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

$0.30 a blade for the Vintage Gillette Stainless is a great buy!