1966 Gillette Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Fangface, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Yes pick those blades up! I'm jealous, I've always wanted to try some blades like that.

2. haiti222

haiti222 Member

Yes, those are going for at least $1/blade on ebay, but I would use them. They are great blades and will be in fine condition.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

This is probably a dumb question but since the original Gillette stainless are so highly reputed (as are others of the same era), wouldn't you consider duplicating them if you ran a modern blade company? The grinds and coatings surely can't still be copyrighted...right?

BigMark likes this.
  4. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Maybe it's that "new polymer coating" ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412207753.520152.jpg

5. haiti222

haiti222 Member

Nah, they all had the PTFE coating back then. In fact, Personnas and Gillette both referenced the same patent. The Personnas made right before the P74 are actually more aggressive blades than just about anything but a Feather.

6. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Fang, I have a lot of them. I have a lot of vintage blades period. They aren't my favorites but they are very good. Every vintage blade I have ever used is very good to excellent to best ever.How much were they?

7. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

P.S. Use them. You can make money on them over at Ebay but not enough to make as much a difference in your life as using them does.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Perhaps if they didn't last a long time. There is likely not much of a profit in such an idea.

9. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

It probably is a cost issue. Cost of making them the same way would demand an unmarketable retail price. Materials, tools, labor have all gone up disproportionately.

10. Fangface

Fangface Active Member

Mouser, they were a $1.50 a pack. Cheaper than the $2.88 they want for the Van Der Hagen blades (the only blades I can find in my area in a store). I've started using them and can get quite a few shaves out of them!