1st Open Comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bobcat, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I was the lucky recipient of a RazoRock Jaws Open Comb razor in a recent PIF. I will be shaving with it for the first time tomorrow using a Personna Med Prep. Any pre-shave open comb advice or feedback?

[​IMG]

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I have some of those heads under the Cadet name. Excellent bang for the buck head. Enjoy!

Bobcat likes this.
  3. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I just used an open comb for the first time last week. It definitely has a different feel to it. You can feel the blade on your face more IMO. Took me a shave or two to get the angle right. I had trouble getting a close shave on the right side of my face when the hair grows in different directions. So I sold mine to a friend. Hope you have better luck.

Bobcat likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Me, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between and open comb and a straight bar if I shaved with my eyes closed.
    Just use it like the rest of your DEs. The angle of attack may be a bit different, but hey, it's different for each straight bar, too.

Bobcat likes this.
  5. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

Good luck and I hope you find it wonderful.
    I am also still trying to get the angle of attack right, all over. I come close but I'm sure I can do better.
    BTW, I absolutely love the look of that brush .............NICE !!

Bobcat likes this.
  6. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

In my opinion they are a little more aggressive than a closed comb, but I get a great shave from my Merkur 1904 open comb. I also think they are very smooth going over the face, but just be careful cause there is of course a lot more blade exposure.

Bobcat likes this.
  7. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

My wife said she is getting me a Gillette NEW Long Comb for Christmas, so I too will have my first open comb soon, I'm really looking forward to it.

Your open comb looks very nice Bob! Congrats on the win!

Tdmsu and GDCarrington like this.
  8. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Well, the first open comb shave is in the books. I used a Personna Med Prep and Stirling Spice. Luckily, the angle was easy for me to dial in. I got a great smooth, close, nick and burn free shave. The only real difference I noticed in the razor was the different sound and feel on my face. It shaved great.

[​IMG]

GDCarrington, BigT, fram773 and 3 others like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088::happy088:

Bobcat likes this.
  10. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Welcome to the OC, Bob.

Bobcat likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm sure this has been posted before.. You take really great pic's!

Bobcat likes this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I use mine everyday(Cadet version), but with a Sabi T2 or a Weber BullDog handle..Nice shave heads...:)

Addendum: I only wish they were made of nickle plated brass or stainless...:happy088:

Bobcat likes this.
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Love the open combs. Looks like you got a good one. Congratulations.

14. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Shave #2 with Jaws today! Even better: very close, smooth, nick & burn free shave.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

"Heck and Harry" Bobcat, that Brush has been in more photos recently than I can recall. Obviously it is one of your favourites? I am happy to say that it is one of MY favourites. It is a good looking brush (And I'm guessing, feels pretty good on the face too?)
    If you ever decide to throw that old thing out ...................

16. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Glad you liked it. They're not as intimidating as most people think. I have a Fatip.

17. Dark Vapor

Dark Vapor Active Member

That's a beautiful looking razor, Bob!
    Being fairly new to DE shaving, I had read some intimidating posts on various websites about open combs.
    I decided to not be intimidated.
    I recently purchased a Merkur 25C open comb, and I love it! It gives a great close shave. :)

18. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Vincent-I look forward to more of your feedback! I was back with Jaws again this morning and had another great shave using the Personna Med Prep (3).

[​IMG]

Dark Vapor and Jayaruh like this.
  19. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

A Gillette New Type Short Comb it's "perfect" for a beginner.

Bobcat, Jayaruh and GDCarrington like this.