2 new synthetic knots and a brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by oscar11, Oct 18, 2017.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'm a natural fiber guy when it comes to brushes with the exception of horse hair. I don't care for it, JMO. If your a horse fan, enjoy. I done alot of experimenting with synthetic fibers and have made some excellent brushes but still go for natural fiber, boar or badger. I get a little impulsive at times and decided to try out a APShaveCO Tuxedo knot which led to a Cashmere knot which led to Simpsons synthetic brush. Despite insomnia I got a good deal on the Simpsons (1/2 price). When I get up in the morning I have to check my email to figure out if I really ordered something or was it a dream. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I don't really have an idea of how many synthetic knots I have from various manufacturers but a bunch. So for the next couple of weeks I'm going to rotate the 3 new brushes and see if anything intrigues me. Excluding the new brushes I've had my best luck with the Muhle and the original H.I.S brush with reduced loft. The Tuxedo and Cashmere are just temporarily glued in case I want to make loft changes and for that matter I consider the Chubby 2 synthetic just temporary too if I think I can get better performance from it.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice Steve. I look forward to your results.

I have yet to try a synthetic knot beyond those awful ones from the 1960's. It wasn't awesome, but I am sure it is a long way from what is available today.

3. oscar11

You know it's just really hard to beat a good boar brush. Badgers are great but a boar you can beat to death and they just keep on going.

4. oscar11

I've used these brushes at least a couple of times not necessarily for shaving but palm lathering to see what they'd do (with the exception of the Tuxedo). The first shaving lather was this morning with the Chubby 2 synthetic. I would consider the Chubby 2 in any form as an iconic brush. I don't want to sound picky but this brush is plush but a little prickly, not much but it's there. The loft is 52mm so I don't know if that's an older model or new but a couple of extra mm of loft could make a big difference in feel. I'm not wild about the handle but that's part of the iconic look of the Chubby. The brush lathers easily and will make plenty of it. I'll shave with the Cashmere on Saturday and use the same soap for each brush.

Douglas Carey and Bobcat like this.
  5. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

I have a Tuxedo and Cashmere both from APShave Co in 24mm knots. They are superb brushes, probably the best synthetics on the market.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. oscar11

The Cashmere knot would do the trick for me. Very soft, adequate backbone for a great feel when face lathering. I'll be playing with this knot a bit more but my temporary glue job is a little more permanent then I'd like right now. But I have a plan for lather #2 with it. My only comment would be that I'm not sure if it will hold enough lather for a 3 pass shave. It isn't really an issue for me because I only do 2 passes myself. Have a good one.
    BTW, I ordered a Maggard version of the tuxedo in a 28mm knot.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Douglas Carey likes this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I have all of APSHAVECO knots. They all work very well. IMO.

8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I believe the black tuxedo is the best synthetic brush on the market, and in addition, the BEST brush on the market, period.

I have yet to try the brand new Timberwolf knots, however...but I hear they are similar.

LuvWetShavin and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. oscar11

Black Tuxedo today. It's a 24mm knot and did a fine job lathering. I'm starting to get the hang of loading synthetics brushes again. I tend to use a fair amount of water and the tuxedo produced a prolific amount lather. I tried tweeking the Cashmere knot and ended up dropping it in my belt sander. It'll cost me another Cashmere knot. IMO, my adjustment did not improve the cashmere. I'll go back to the way I had it set up with maybe a minor loft change. Have a good one. Different soap tomorrow and I'll use the Simpsons and Tuxedo until the replacement for the Cashmere shows up.

10. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

I have never really enjoyed synthetics, as many of you may have been aware, but the Chubby 2 synthetic is the best one I have used.
    Having said this, nothing will ever replace a good large dense 2-Band badger knot, in my opinion.
    All of the boar brushes I have used splay too much, for my liking and synthetics have too much 'spring' to them. :)

11. oscar11

Celestino, I try to keep an open mind but I feel pretty much like you. I do enjoy a good boar though.

12. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

If you will forgive the intrusion gentleman...

Is a two band badger is the same as a tuxedo badger?

I've been straight razor Shaving for two years now... graduated from shavette to some fine singing, smiling vintage blades.
    And the goo I've been using... well it's just time to make a change. I have an AOS pure badger...but it doesn't thrill me at all. So I've been studying and trying to figure out the brush part.

Badgers have to soak to be good and synthetics don't. Face lathering seems to be the most popular (most often used method) and whipping up a lather in a scuttle takes more time but seems to be the finest method for results.

Which brings out the question of the brush. And I am just gaining some information before going for it.

13. oscar11

No.
    I don't worry about soaking badger or boar brushes. Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. I just get them good a wet under the faucet and probably spend a little more time wetting a boar. You don't want brittle hair.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Jayaruh and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I never soak my brushes whether natural or synthetic.

Douglas Carey and oscar11 like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I soak all my brushes for at least 5 minutes before shaving. :)
    To each their own. :happy088:

16. oscar11

Round 2 with the new synthetics. My opinion has changed in regard to the Simpsons. As said before this brush has a plush feeling and felt slightly prickly. For some reason it felt much better today, less prickly.

Douglas Carey and Jayaruh like this.