200+yr old straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by 45auto, Nov 28, 2014.

1. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

How many of you have 200+yr old straights as your go to shavers?
    How do they shave compared to modern day shavers?

2. kn4wd

kn4wd Member

I have one from the 1830's called a wm stenton and sons. not quite 200 but very close one of my favorite shavers don't use it much due to the rarity of it never recently heard of but three of them and did a search to find the other two. I didn't have my glasses when I bought it and the man I got it from said it was a wosty. any way on your question it is a much better shave than the newer hollows and I love wedges.mine has been reground at sometime probally 1/4 hollow 10/8 width and very heavy. I wouldn't trade it for a pair of mint fillies nor any dovo or bokers I have ever saw.

Keithmax, Billyfergie, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  3. Jamie Mahoney

Jamie Mahoney Well-Known Member

Would be nice to see a picture, I would like to get my hands on an old stub tail I would give it the full restore including new horn scales a fancy pair of washers.

BeShaved, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  4. kn4wd

kn4wd Member

376.jpg here you are, only pic I have of it the day I brought it home. right beside my 8/8 wade

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I am awaiting the arrival of these two. The Marshes & Shepherd (bottom) is probably circa 1824-1848— which puts it anywhere from 170-190 years old. The other razor is probably form the mid-1800s. I look forward to seeing what kind of edge they both take.
    [​IMG]

6. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

Anyone know what prices razors that old trend toward?

7. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

There is a lot of history in these shavers hopefully someday I will be shaving with one from the late 1770's.

8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    This is the oldest razor I have restored that I know of, I have done many more from the Early 1800's but this one is late 1700's probably ca 1780-1790
    The scales are Cocobolo and the shape was copied from the originals as close as possible...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These razors are an acquired taste, if you love BBS and very close shaves these are probably not going to be your cup of tea.. They are in general softer steel and are very comfortable shavers but not known for extremely close shaves, extremely keen edges, nor do they hold the edges as long..
    That was a "General" statement there are always exceptions..
    You have to enjoy the history of the razor and the uniqueness of shaving with something that was used when George Washington and Benjamin Franklin were alive :)

markjnewcomb, brit, Jim99 and 13 others like this.
  9. huckelberry hound

huckelberry hound Active Member

B-E-A-UTIFUL scales Glen

Billyfergie, Karl G, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  10. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Sounds like the money spent may not be worthwhile... gotta love the history of it, by chance is that an English or German made shaver?

11. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Nothing quite as old as Glen's but I do have a few from the early 1800's, and they're all very nice shavers indeed. They definitely do have a charm all their own.

My own rule of thumb is nothing over $10, but beyond that I don't know what they tend to go for generally. The Packwood I remember because it came to me in a lot with six other old Sheffield wedges for $45.

Billyfergie, Karl G, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  12. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

The old ones need not be expensive at all 45auto. They're often times in need of little TLC, sometimes more than a little, but you can find them everywhere from dirt cheap to ridiculously dear.

This old Greaves is pretty nice, except for the hone wear; and it's just $10.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:innocent

brit, Billyfergie, oscar11 and 4 others like this.
  13. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here is my oldest. No maker mark and no marks whatsoever. This is a true wedge and took me almost a month to successfully hone.

Does it shave as well as newer razors? Well no. It may not be as comfortable or as nimble to hold but it does get the job done and plows whiskers with no sound at all. (it doesn't "sing") As mentioned by Glen, the steel is much softer and the edge is very sensitive

I had this razor checked by several experts on several forums and websites. Most say the razor is dated around 1780 or so and probably French due to the lack of tail. I would have to agree that the design, lack of a shoulder and scale shape (although the scales may not be original) are leaning to the age.

I purchased this razor around 3 years ago on the bay from a seller who purchased an estate and found this razor in the attic of a 200 + year old home. She said it was in a box with a bunch of other stuff.

Any information is always welcome.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  14. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

These three are ~1800-1815 I'd guess. All three are in regular rotation along with an old early John Barber that I don't seem to have any pics of in the p-bucket...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brit, lindyhopper66, Jim99 and 10 others like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nice trio! :happy088:

Spyder, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  16. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Nice shavers it seems like " Greaves" seems to have been a prominent maker of razors back in the day.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Spyder, Billyfergie, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  17. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

That razor dates back to the birth of our nation how cool!

Spyder, Billyfergie, oscar11 and 3 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Raising an oldie of a thread.

I just partially restored and honed this "Warranted" Stubtail Straight. I have a Book called "Standard Guide To Razors Second Edition" and it dates the "Warranted" razor between 1730-1810, and further dates it to around the mid 1700's, by the blade shape. Looking at various sites on the internet also hint at around the mid 1700's in age. The scales look to be old semi-transparent Horn, but not original. When I got the razor, its scales were peeling and cracked. The razor was tricky to hone, because its a "True Wedge", without a spine. This razor takes an edge as sharp as modern blades, but feels a little softer. In the end, this was a very nice razor to shave with(2 pass DFS), it just feels primitive compared to razors of the 1890's-1930's.

"Warranted" Stubtail. Mid 1700's

Warranted Stubtail.JPG

brit, lindyhopper66, Spyder and 7 others like this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Right around 1800

IMG_0499.JPG

20. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

I love my Talley-Ho English Razor from the1850's.She shaves great.Better then most new razors imho .
    talley ho.jpg

brit, Karl G, Spyder and 2 others like this.