3 Piece Beginner's kit. What would you put in it?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Fly2High, May 16, 2017.

1. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I can see that. I will say the gunmetal 6C is really beautiful and shaves nicely so far.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

It depends on if he wants to buy it all together or piece it out.

If he buys all together, Stirling soap has the best value, bar none. They are high quality and VERY cheap...and on top of that...they discount their wet shave kits even further!

If he is piecing it together, he should buy stuff second hand from another wet shaver.
    I would buy either a gentle 3 piece razor (Gillette tech or Edwin Jagger) or go with an adjustable so he can find out what he likes and grow "with" the razor (either a Gillette Fatboy or Gillette slim).
    Soaps should be Stirling, barrister and mann, Catie's bubbles, or L&L grooming with matching Aftershaves. If he doesn't want matching Aftershaves...go with chatillon lux, lucky tiger, pinaud, floid, or musgo real.

The best brush value is easily Stirling or maggards. I actually prefer Synthetics. If he does too, it would save a lot.
    A blade sampler is the way to go for razors

3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Okay, here's my 0.2.
    VDH long handle razor-Walgreens
    VDH starter kit-ditto
    DO NOT use the VDH blades
    Wilkinson Sword Classic blades- Bed Bath & Beyond
    C O Bigelow Premium Shaving Cream(it's the Proraso Green)- Bath & Body Works
    Clubman Classic or the Veg(I don't know why I said that)- also Bed Bath & Beyond.
    That right there should come in under $75 or close to it. If there is any money left some tucks of Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue, Shark Super Chrome, Seven o'clock Green

4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

if it were me setting it up I'd go like this

IMG_6422.jpg IMG_6423.jpg

Now personally I'd go with a Gillette slim. A slim can run you about $15-$25 on the cheap. Why a slim? Well because he can adjust the aggressiveness as his technique develops. Basically giving him multiple razors in one.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Gillette Super Speed, Arko, Astra SP, Omega 49 or VDH boar.

Basically - easy to use starter everything.

[edit] - Basically, a starter kit for less than $35.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

EJ89
    large blade sampler
    Best Shave #6 horse hair brush
    Corn huskers lotion for a preshave
    Arko or VDH shave soap
    Nivea post shave balm
    After shave of choice
    :happy088:

7. Mr_Anderson

Mr_Anderson New Member

My first safety razor was the Edwin Jagger and I've since bought the Merkur 34C as well. Both are in my opinion great options to start. I would recommend some Voskhod blades, they are the smoothest and most forgiving blades that I have tried.

8. Redrooster

Redrooster Member

Id go with an ej89 razor.
    Id also get a cream rather than a soap find it easier to lather palmolive is nice.
    Some astra blades.
    Wilkinson sword brush is cheap and not to bad.
    Good luck with whatever you get.sammy.

9. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Super Speed or Tech
    C.O.Bigelow
    Siracha Bowl
    VDH Boar
    Blade sampler

Should be able to make that all work for 50 bucks or less.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I like the Stirling and the Stirling synthetic. I would much prefer a pre-war fat handle tech over the 34C or Super Speed. For $75 You've got a lot of budget to play with, you could even go with a custom synthetic brush and still stay under budget.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.