$30 - Too Much, too little, just right?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Truckman, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I just got back from checking out a local antique store where I found a Rolls Razor for $30. Sorry, no pics. However it looked to be in excellent condition, probably only used a few times. The hones did have some wear to them, but not much to my untrained eye. It also included the instructions, a dealer list, the paper blade cover, the inspection tag, and the original box. All in excellent condition.

Price $30. Would pay $30 for it?

FWIW, it's still sitting in the display case...should I go back, or leave it?

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Are the strop and hone in good condition? No cracks to either?

Blades still good? What was the style of the case?

Zig Zag or stipple metal case. The ZigZag is the "newer" one and I'd pay $30 for an all inclusive. The stipple is the older one and a steal for $30. IMHO.

3. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Eh, $30 seems decent since it has all the original paperwork, but I would try and talk them down a couple bucks.

4. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Do you have pics of the two style cases?

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

6. Truckman

Truckman New Member

The blade looked good to me - no nicks or anything. Strop and hone? I thought they were both hones - one red stone and one black stone, one in each lid. No cracks that I noticed, although I didn't examine them under a microscope - nothing large and obvious. Just what appeared to me to be "normal" wear - straight lines where it looked to me that the handle ran along while honing the blade. More noticeable on the red one.

As far as the case - I'd have to see a pic of both styles to see.

Wow, if nothing else I've learned that I need to pay way better attention! :D

7. Truckman

Truckman New Member

the zig zag ... looked like the one in your link "Imperial No. 2" but the box was in much better condition than those boxes. I actually almost thought it was NIB at first, but then I realized it had been used a bit.

8. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Was the case blue? I have two in the cardboard boxes and two in the nice blue cases.

9. Truckman

Truckman New Member

That's a given... $30 was the tag price...

I just wanted to know how close it was. I didn't want to talk her down to, say $25 thinking I did great, and come to find out I shouldn't have paid anything over $20!

10. Truckman

Truckman New Member

IIRC, it was in a 2 piece cardboard box, not a case. But the box seemed to be blue, and I don't recall the orange from Single Wedge's link.... also I think one box(the bottom, maybe?) was striped, while the other was solid???

I wish I felt more comfortable asking to take pictures...

11. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

The strop should be Orange/red or something in the middle of those colors.

THe stone should be black or deep grey.

The website has a lot of good info, EXCEPT the link for replacement parts and the guy that sells them no longer exist.

Is the handle a 2 piece or 1 piece?

Does the Mechanism work for stropping/honing?

2 Piece handles are travel sets a little rarer. Does it have the Bakelite blade cases?

12. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Here are some pics of three of my four. My 4th is in the blue case and has all the paper work with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

OK, I thought it was another stone. It had some marks from use on it, but looked in good shape.

It is and looked possibly untouched, I can't fully recall.

It is 1 piece, AFAIK.

The handle flipped up and slid back and forth smoothly along it's track, but we didn't have it hooked up to the stone so I don't know how well the blade sat on the stone (proper angle).

No bakelite blade case, no other blades. Just the one blade attached to the stropping/honing mechanism.

In scottydoint's pics, the cardboard boxes are one piece with a flip-top. I'm pretty sure the box I saw was two pieces.

Man, I hope they leave me alone at work tonight....I can see I'm going to have to stop back to the shop tomorrow! :D:D

14. eddieb208

eddieb208 New Member

If you buy it, consider stropping the blade as shown in the instruction pamphlet and actually shaving with it. It's an experience to shave with such a high quality instrument.
    Here's a link to a video that shows someone shaving with the "Rolls":

15. Truckman

Truckman New Member

16. Ramaniac

Ramaniac Member

That was the craziest thing I have ever seen.

17. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Found another one today in a different antique store. It was an Imperial 2 for $55, but it was in a maroon alligator leather case, with maroon lining that said "Rolls Razor" and "The Traveler". It also had the blade case. The red strop had a lot of wear on it though.

I just thought the maroon alligator leather case looked really cool, so I wanted to post about it here...

Sorry, still not a Rolls Razor owner yet...:rolleyes: soon though, I'm sure :D
    don't tell SWMBO ;)