3P is here :)

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Darkbulb, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

One soap (or 'croap' I guess) that I have really wanted to try out for some time now is the Italian 3P soap.

So..since I was on the Connaught site anyway ordering thirty of these:
    [​IMG]

I thought I'd just add a jar of 3P soap...

It arrived today (avec the coated SS GEM razor blades pictured above) and it smells AMAZING.
    If you've ever had good Marzipan that's exactly how it smells (or think 'sweet almonds').

I am a hard-soap user and not really into creams..so the concept of a 'croap' did worry me a bit - but the 3P is just very 'plyable' and the brush will not be 'scooping up' any of the content so it seems that I can lather just like I normally do on a hard soap puck.

I can't wait to try this thing out tomorrow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ceferguson likes this.
  2. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I agree, this is a very nice soap. Tops in lather, slickness, scent. I always enjoy my shave when using 3P.

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Can't wait until tomorrow morning to take it for a spin :)
    Have you used Cella? I'm curious how it compares to Cella in terms of hardness, lather and smell.

4. LookingGlass

Yes, I have used Cella. For me, they are very similar in consistency - soft and pliable. The Cella has a little more "Cherry/Almond" scent. Both are tops in lather. I prefer the 3P.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Finally got around to shaving with my 3P this morning and here are some initial impressions;

As I mentioned this is my first 'croap' so wasn't too sure what it would be like.
    The soap IS softer than your regular soap puck but not so soft it can be scooped up by the brush like with a cream.

Good:
    The lather comes up QUICK and it is THICK. Potentially way thicker and 'creamier' than any lather I have gotten from a hard soap. It felt very, very protective.
    It gave a very good shave, I applied it twice - for WTG and for ATG and both times the lather was just sensational.

Questionable:
    Even though I love the almond/marzipan scent when applying it to my face it is rather 'strong' and comes across as very sweet.
    Almost like coating your face with candy/sweets in a way.
    I didn't mind it...but I also think that strong sweet sensation may cause me to not have this as a back-to-back soap but rather just once in a while.

Happy I got it. Could have done with a tad less 'sweetness'/candy smell when applying it but overall just a great performing croap.

Now I wonder if Cella is less candy-smelling :)

[​IMG]

Ceferguson likes this.
  6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

No it isn't. I felt like eating it the first time I used it. I woke up hungry that morning furthermore.

By the ingredients I would be interested on how 3P stacks up to Proraso seeing as the top 3 ingredients are the same... And if 3P is anything like Proraso in performance, it shouldn't touch Cella.

7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Used the soap three times now...and holy cow...the lather this thing can produce is like nothing I think I've ever seen before.
    30 swirls..face lather....and I have a very, very thick and slick lather going.
    REALLY like it.

Omelmad and macaronus like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried the RazoRock "Classic" croap?? It has the almond smell and lathers quite well also... :)

9. LookingGlass

I did 3P today...great lather...wonderful, satisfying shave.:happy036:

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Funny, after just three shaves with it I must say it is now one of my top three soaps :)
    The lather is just amazing

11. fram773

What are the others?

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I would rate my top three soaps, right now, to be;
    Mystic Water
    Arko
    3P

All deliver outstanding lather for me.

Others I've tried include;
    Lightfoot,
    Seasalt shave soap,
    Stirling (3-4 different ones)
    Proraso white,
    Strop Shoppe
    Mama Bear

13. fram773

I'm interested in trying it but not sure because of the scent. Strongly scented products irritate me- that is why I had to get rid of the Cella.

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It does indeed have a pretty strong scent - very 'sweet' and marzipan smelling.
    I think after a few times I got 'used' to the scent as it's now not anywhere as noticeable as it was the first time.
    The lather is outstanding.

I'm curious to compare this scent to the one of the Cella :)

15. fram773

People say it's almond/marzipan also. Smells like cherry to me.

16. fram773

I was just reading comments by people on other boards that claim it's scent is not as strong as Cella... Have you used some 3p with SEs yet?

17. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've used the 3P with both the 1912 and the OCMM and I really like it!

18. fram773

Now Im interested...

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Well, in all fairness I've never found that a particular soap works better with a particular razor..either it provides a slick lather or it doesn't :)

20. fram773

Proraso worked excellently with my DEs but i don't think it has sufficient cushion for my SEs. Slickness isnt everything- PdP has excellent slickness but no cushion IMO. This I find a tendency on most non tallow soaps.