3pc DE Aggressive Razor Fundamentals - "Riding the cap"

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Apr 27, 2016.

?

How do you like your razor?

1. Mild and smooth

64 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. Aggressive and efficient

45 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. With two lumps and a biscuit...

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. Doesn't matter, Techniques Trump Tools!!!

51 vote(s)
    31.5%
  1. Kaladin

Kaladin Active Member

I'm pretty new to wet shaving, so I don't have a super-aggressive razor as of yet. The closest I can get is my Rockwell 6C with the "6" setting. It's likely because my form isn't up to par, but it sure did a mean number on me when I used it! I've been honing my technique and I'm confident I can say technique trumps, though. It takes time to learn and get it down pat.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. TedBundo

TedBundo New Member

thanks for the post! Super help to a noob like me. I can't even feel the cuts when they happen but i see them once they start bleeding

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

I don't know if my razor is considered aggressive or not. I have a Merkur Vision if anyone can tell me.

Keithmax likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Then you push too hard, I guess.

Let the blade do the work. If you don't apply pressure, you also feel better what's going on.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Being adjustable, it's as mild or as aggressive as you want. For arguments sake, let's say you have it set at 3. Then for you, anything above that is aggressive.

I've learned that razor aggression can be in eye of beholder, or should I say, in the face of the shaver. What you consider mild may be considered aggressive by someone else. Also, as my technique has improved, razors with a reputation of being aggressive that started did, indeed, feel aggressive. After improving my technique, learning how to use the tools I have, that aggression has mellowed out.

ColtJustice and RetLEO-07 like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

/slow clap/ Well said!

swarden43 likes this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I owned a vision and its mild to medium in terms of agressiveness. It's very cool looking and I liked the weight.

ColtJustice likes this.
  8. ColtJustice

I like the weight, too. It makes it easier to not put any pressure on it. Just let the weight take care of itself.

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I find that with a heavy razor, the weight of the razor can actually be too much pressure still and I need to provide negative pressure (hold the weight of the razor off my skin) to get an irritation free shave in some cases

PickledNorthern and ColtJustice like this.
  10. Dule083

Dule083 Active Member

I lurn with years that even more important from the equipment is patients. Really, if you hurry do not shave yourself. Or do that if you really must.
    Take your time and enjoy. Don't rush. Do preshave. Than you past more than half way through good shaving.

Also is important to find right razor -blade combination. If first copuple shaves do not fill expectations do not start to chasing new razor. Do not make bunch of razors immediately. Give your razor proper chance. Buy some sample pack with 5-6 blades. Find what suits to you. Relax the hand. And easssssy. My firs razor was EJ 89 than R41. Like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, one too mild, second bloody butcher. But with time.and some discilpline they do fine job. Of course they are long time history now. I use much soffisticated tools but now I depend much less from tool. Belive me with time you will notice that everything is in time and discipline.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

There are no truly aggressive safety razors. It's a myth that people perpetuate on forums. Pick any razor and master it!

Eeyore and ColtJustice like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Razor aggressiveness can be evaluated objectively.

13. ColtJustice

That's been one of my issues I know I have to work on, and that's patience. I've used cartridges for so long, I get a little impatient when shaving. I started to take a little more time, and I'm getting better shaves because of it.

RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Carts teach habits that are disaster with a DE. It takes some time. Total time will be about the same as carts once you've achieved absolute proficiency.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    PanChango likes this.
  15. swarden43

So adjustables are a waste?
    There is no difference between 1 and 9, so no need to adjust to any desired setting. Got it.

16. Bama Samurai

Where did I write that?

I believe earlier in the thread I wrote that adjustables may be treated as nine unique razors.

17. Bama Samurai

18. swarden43

So what do you call, or how do you describe, the difference in feel or the need for a change in technique required as you move from 1 through 9? If blade gap doesn't change the aggression of a razor because all you're really doing is riding the cap anyway, then an adjustable is a waste. Get a fixed head, Red Tip, Blue Tip, doesn't matter. Neither one is more aggressive or milder than the other.

Bama Samurai and BigMark83 like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Hence, there are no truly aggressive razors and all razors are the same. It pretty cool what you wrote. I'd never been able to succinctly explain "all razors are the same", but you actually just did! So cool!

Once this thinking is in play, then newbie can stop fearing all the training wheel options and find the optimal angle on any razor. That was a nice way to explain it. The geometric difference as the dial moves is covered in my post in detail. The feeling? It's really just what optimal angle versus suboptimal angles feel like.

RyX likes this.
  20. swarden43

I'll buy that.