5 valet autostroping razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by UnklGus, Jun 11, 2009.

1. UnklGus

UnklGus Member

What can people tell me about these? I found one today when I was out and about for around 13.00. It is in the original box with the strop and 2 boxes of blades.

Is this type of razor one that a newbie would have good luck with? do theye need a special type of blades? Should I go back and get it?

Thanks for your help!

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Yes, they do take their own blades. That being said, you can take the spine off of a S/E blade and trim one to fit. Dave 's video is below.

You also need to make sure that it is a model where the blade slides into a slot, and not one where the word Valet is stamped into a swinging faceplate. You cannot use one of those models with a trimmed S/E blade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Bq0nLygEg

3. JimR

JimR Active Member

Some models can use the Feather SE blades, as well.

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

some can take the feather SE blades as jim said, some can take modified SE blades as bill eluded to. for experienced users ive even recommended and showed how to revive original valet blades.

you can pick it up if you want, but id get your technique down with SE shaving on another razor first if you havent already. the autostrop razor can be agonizing at worst, somewhat tricky at best. ymmv though.

a great starter SE razor is a 1912 gem. youll see us talking about it quite often on here.

if you need any help drop me a PM.

5. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Pretty good price though for one with the strop and all, right?

6. TOB9595

TOB9595 Member

MOST often I don not see the strop, blades and razor. That is a good find and one that I would contemplate getting.
    Go for it
    Tom

7. Special_K

Special_K New Member

that's what i was thinking. Heck, Gus, I would buy it from you.
    :rolleyes:

8. UnklGus

UnklGus Member

I'll have to think about getting it then... It was at an antique shop near my home. I am pretty sure that the strop was with it. I didn't take the whole box apart though. I may be wrong about that...

9. Special_K

Special_K New Member

Agh, I have found some razors and even ones with cases but not a strop yet.

10. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I once came across an Auto Strop strop in an antique store... I picked it up for a member here... they are out there...

11. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I am still working on technique with the Valet. It is indeed a different beast! It is really a cool razor though and as far as I am concerned a must have in your collection! When you pick one up complete, as you have described, you have it covered!

I would take Dave's advice on learning to shave with other razors. When you feel comfortable with your technique, you can certainly give the Valet a drive!

Be careful stropping though!! Those strops get cut pretty easy if you are not paying really close attention! It would be a shame to slice it in half - but it does happen (To me! to Dave too!).

Valet Auto Strop Razor - yeah baby!