$50 Perfection.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hanzo, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I have a coarse beard and it needs smooth shaving aggression. To my surprise the Muhle 2013 version of the R 41 shaves on a par with my beloved Cobra Classic. The Muhle handles, both the standard or Grande were either too short or lightweight for my current taste, but Shavingie fixed that by coincidentally offering a stainless steel handle, manufacturer unknown and undisclosed. With the solidity, long length, heft and grip I want in a handle it works extremely well for me.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/stainless-steel-satin-razor-handle.html

Combining the R41 head, just $20 from the same vendor, with the handle, my new razor is inexpensive and just flat out works . I am getting the shaves my coarse beard needs , close and comfortable and the handle feels right, not out of balance with the head. For me the key to enjoying the R41 head to its fullest was finding the right blade, before that I was getting close shaves but occasional nicks and weepers would occur.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/replacement-head-r41-oc.html

[​IMG]

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Looks like a nice solid combo! Enjoy!

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

A change in handle can sometimes make a world of difference. Looks good..enjoy the shaves..:eatdrink047:

Hanzo and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I also bought my R41 (2013) from shaving.ie. the handle I replaced with a Weber Bulldog which changed the way it handled and felt. Your setup is VERY cool! I'm glad that Muhle has started to sell replaced heads. It is a great shaver! Happy Shaving!

Hanzo likes this.
  5. 2grubswrestle1

2grubswrestle1 Active Member

I bought the R41 2013 head a few months ago....I have enjoyed it. At the moment I am using a handle from my Merkur 180.

I am still looking for the handle that I want to pair it with.

Your set up looks good...and I hoe you enjoy many great shaves with it.

Hanzo likes this.
  6. Bill Halasyn

Bill Halasyn New Member

I paired my R41 head with the handle of a Parker 24C . Looks and works great for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...N=B00IDDW4Y6&linkCode=as2&tag=defensshoote-20
    [​IMG]

Hanzo likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Nice handle , yet you could find Sabi and Cadet handles even cheaper they are the same chrome over brass . A long SS handle for $33 like the one from shavingie, is actually the better bargain, because usually those are more difficult to source at that price or you have to have one made.

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Awesome get up and I dig the satin finish on it. Love the R41 too though I haven't tried the 2013 only the 2011.

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Never had the courage to try 2011. Samjax , a member of another forum pointed out considerable differences between the 2 versions of the R41 design. He has also done a lot of testing of all the stainless steel razors and he said if the 2013 were offered in SS , it would be " game over" for many shavers.

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I imagine it would. The 2011 is amazing but took me a good 3 months to get comfort out of it. Close happened on the first shave, but comfort took much longer. I bet that the little tweak to the mild side made it perfect from the head perspective. Couple it with your favorite handle (mod or aftermarket) and you have perfection....as you state :)

Hanzo likes this.