A.B.Shipley & Son's. Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by DaltonGang, Oct 18, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Here is another that I will be working on today.
    A.B.Shipley & Son's, Philadelphia.
    This came to me with a cracked scale, held together by wire. The wire seemed to be doing a good job, but I couldn't let it be. I stabilized the crack, with Gorilla Glue CA, and a clip, to hold it in place. There was also a splitting of the scales, towards the pivot pin. It wasn't all the way through, but it needed fixing. one last crack in the scales was inside the scales, where the blade fit. The scales were splitting, lengthwise, about an in long.

Before: It's the one on the top.

P8231156.JPG
    After the scales were stabilized. The inside split cannot be seen, but looks almost undetectable not. I applied the glue, and used a Popsicle stick, wedged inside the scales, to apply pressure. I removed the stick, after a few minutes, because I didn't want them to be a part of the razor. It was just long enough to have the inside split stick, until it cured. Now the work begins.

PA171263.JPG

Jim99 and AGHisBBS like this.
  2. DaltonGang

OK, I'm finished trying to prettify it. Its cast steel, and I kept it less shiny. I kind of like the less polished look on some razors. But, I will let you guys judge that. Plus, I didn't want to destroy the wording on the blade. All that is needed now is honing.

Done: A.B.Shipley & Sons.

PA181267.JPG

PA181266.JPG

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice save l, Scott :happy088:

DaltonGang likes this.
  4. DaltonGang

I did some digging, and the A.B.Shipley & Son co, in Philadelphia, was a Cutlery & Novelty Co. From around 1840-1880.

Jim99 likes this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You've done some great work.

:happy088:

DaltonGang likes this.