A Blade Safari - 15 enter how many leave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TSimons, Jan 29, 2014.

1. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Gillette Platinum is a great blade, less known that other blades, but a great performer in my opinion.

Slow Joe likes this.
  2. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

Initial feeling on this blade is great! My face felt nice and smooth, zero irritation, no nicks or weepers. Can't ask for more then that.

About an hour later and my face isn't as smooth...

Bobcat likes this.
  3. TSimons

After one use, I can see why you like the Gillette Platinum. Initial results from this blade were great! I'm starting to notice my face isn't as smooth as I first thought, but that's not abnormal for me. I do have one patch that could have used some touch up, but I think the rest of the coarseness might just be the cold and dry weather.

Slow Joe and Bobcat like this.
  4. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Glad you enjoyed the Gillette platinum, its my favourite along with Feathers. How many days do Hou ude a blade for?

5. TSimons

For the purpose of this evaluation each blade is used for four shaves, no exceptions. For the most part two passes (WTG and XTG) per shave. The Med Prep is the only blade that seemed to have trouble with this "work load". I'm sure I could get more uses out of the blades, but that evaluation will have to come another day.

Bobcat likes this.
  6. TSimons

Three shaves in and the platinum is still going strong with little to no signs of dulling. Another nice smooth shave, but no irritation today! I could have used some extra touch up on my jaw line but it's nothing too bad and I'm too busy enjoying the pleasesentness of this shave.

I'd like to try this blade in a different razor down the road to see if I can get rid of some of it's bite.

Bobcat, KLF and Slow Joe like this.
  7. TSimons

Final shave with the Gillette Platinum and I'm smitten. The blade started out a little aggressive, but toned down really nice. Another very smooth shave from this blade. It's going in the keep pile!

Bobcat and KLF like this.
  8. TSimons

Wow! First shave with the Polsilver Super Iridium, and it was a bad shave, possibly one of my worst. Time will tell if it was the blade, prep, or just bad luck.

Bobcat likes this.
  9. TSimons

Glad I didn't have a repeat of yesterday's shave. It still has room for improvement, but it was not an unpleasant shave.

Zero cuts and not too much irritation. The irritation might just be due to not take the time to let my face heal...

Bobcat likes this.
  10. TSimons

Yesterdays shave must not have been as close as I remember as I had a fair bit of stubble for the Polsilver today. I broke out the pre-shave and it's probably a good thing. It might have been the amount of facial hair, or the blade itself, but I'm not a huge fan of tugging three shaves into a blade...

Bobcat likes this.
  11. TSimons

Last shave with the Polsilver and it ends up being the best. My WW2 Tech and the Polsilver do not belong together, or at least not for my face.

The Polsilver is a nice sharp blade capable of giving a DFS shave, but for me, paired in my Tech is just wasn't "right". Other blades have gotten me just as smooth or better shaves with less effort or problems. I'm more then willing to give the Polsilver another go, but not in this razor...

Bobcat likes this.
  12. TSimons

Blade Safari day 45, enter the Perma-Sharp...

This was a great shave! I can't think of anything "bad" with this shave. It could have been closer, but after the polsilver I have no complaints with the borderline DFS the Perma-Shapr delivered. If there is any consistency to this blade, it'll be going in the keep pile!

Bobcat likes this.
  13. TSimons

Another great shave from the Perma-Sharp! I did some ATG touch ups on my jaw line which gave a little irritation, but it didn't last. I somehow still managed to miss one spot but I'm still going to call this a DFS from! Can't wait for tomorrows shave!

Bobcat likes this.
  14. TSimons

Another passing grade for the Perma-Sharp. I think it's time to start looking for somewhere to buy these!

Bobcat likes this.
  15. TSimons

Final shave with the Perma-Sharp. I'm not too happy about that, I really enjoyed this blade!

Bobcat likes this.
  16. TSimons

The Voskhod was one of the blades I was really looking forwards to trying. Today's shave left me a little wanting. I didn't have a great lather to work with and I'm hoping that was the problem and not that actually blade.

That's not to say the Voskhod did not perform well. I got no nicks, cuts, weepers, or any irritation what so ever. I didn't get the smoothest of shaves after my standard two pass shave... It was absolutely a "sociably acceptable" shave, I just wanted more.

I was able to get a nice DFS on my cheeks after a third WTG pass. I'm looking forwards to tomorrows shave with a different soap.

Bobcat likes this.
  17. TSimons

Now this is the DFS I was hopping for yesterday!

Today was a mild shave and reminded me of the Viking Sword, a mild blade that seem incapable of causing nicks, cuts, irritation etc. I'd say that classifies as a good blade!

The audible feed back did seem louder then yesterday, and there was some tugging on the left side of my face to start off with. I'm going to chalk that up to swapping out the ball end handle for the fat and being a little off with my angles. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Bobcat likes this.
  18. TSimons

I could probably just get away with a simple "BBS" for the Voskhod's performance evaluation today, but I wont.

I did get a BBS, and it is a beautiful thing. Yesterday it occurred to me that the Voskhod and Viking Sword were similar in that they seemed to have no bite. I decided to test that out with an ATG pass from the Voskhod, just like I did with the Viking Sword.

I was right, the Voskhod has no bite. After three days of use to be able to go ATG without irritation. I like that!

What I don't particularly like about todays shave, is that it almost felt like I needed the ATG pass to get a close shave. The Voskhod just doesn't feel very sharp anymore. I really hope it's not a three use blade.

Bobcat likes this.
  19. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I saw them on Bestshave and I got a 5-pack from Bullgoose a while back but haven't tried them yet. Sounds like I need to :)

20. TSimons

They worked for me! If you've already bought them you might as well use them. Unfortunately this is one product that I cant say "it can't hurt to try", but it's the only way to see how a particular blade will perform fr you.