A Cartridge For A Schick G1

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by John Ruschmeyer, Jul 29, 2017.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Last month, I traded @GarnerPW for a Schick G1 Injector which was missing its handle. I considered a number of options including 3D printing, commissioning a custom @Jayaruh handle, and even teaching myself to carve wood. Ultimately, I decided on a "found object" solution.

IMG_5554.JPG IMG_4947.JPG
    The handle is a dummy round for (I think) a .30-06. According to the headstamp, it was made at the Frankford Armory in 1943. I came across it a while back in some things that I had saved from my parents' house. It would have originally belonged to my father although I don't know if it was from his time in the Army during WWII or, more likely, from when he later worked as an Ordnance Worker at Naval Ammunition Depot (now, Naval Weapons Station) Earle. I'll let the military experts weigh in on whether such an item might have managed to remain in the inventory from 1943 until well into the Vietnam era.

I like the way this came out. The inspiration was a cartridge razor handle made out of a cartridge. The brass polished up surprisingly well as I can only ever remember it being colored green with patina. The only thing I needed to do was to slightly enlarge the primer opening to accept the pin from the Schick.

Obviously, it has a bit of personal history. Also, I like the fact that it is somewhat "period correct" in that one could imagine a soldier in, say, Korea doing the same thing as field expedient repair.

By comparison, here it is with an E2 and a J1:
    IMG_0091.JPG

BTW, along these lines, I'd love to find an empty .30-06 casing for a DE handle I've wanted to make.

Enrico, George X, gorgo2 and 9 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very cool!

3. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

Oh that's pure awesome!

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

4. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

That looks sweet! I bet if you googled gun ranges nearby you, you'd easily be able to find some brass (spent shells) on the ground! We go to places near our home and pick up the shells all the time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. drwevil

drwevil Well-Known Member

That looks so cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

looks good......

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very cool. I have a custom handled G of my own, but no where near the neat story as yours.

Well done!

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Excellent choice.

BambulanceMan likes this.