A disquisition on blade sampler packs

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Leisureguy, Aug 8, 2007.

1. bigstick

bigstick Member

in Canada

Fendrihan.com sells a few different sample packs at good prices and excellent service.

2. Nickos

Nickos New Member

Ordered the large connaught pack sunday night. Can't wait till it arrives and give the IPs & Astras a go!

3. Stone

Stone New Member

Thanks for the tips. I was considering buying one new brand at a time and stopping when I found a good one, but the sampler seems like the way to go.

4. newb

newb Resident Newb

Razor and Brush looks to be out of business

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Aye that it is, for a while now actually.

6. greychamp

greychamp New Member

I've maintained, for a long time, that stopping when you find a good blade is the way to go. Continuing the search beyond that point MAY result in your finding even a better blade, but it is a good bet that your face will suffer in the process of searching. I stopped my own search when I discovered Derbys. When I see a lot of rave reviews for a new blade such as 7 O'Clock Yellows, Iridiums or Astras, I'll buy 10 of each to see if I find another blade to replace the Derbys. The reason I've adopted this strategy is that rave reviews increase the odds that I will like the new blade and won't hurt my face or pocketbook in the process

7. newb

newb Resident Newb

I just ordered a variety of single packs from the store here. The prices are reasonable and the links to the reviews are helpful. A good bit of the sampler packs I've seen, seem to contain merkur's and feathers both of which don't agree with my newbie sensitive skin and technique. Now the wait begins.

8. Teacher

Teacher New Member

The Superior Shave also has two sampler packs. I've only placed two orders with TSS, but they've been very quick with great communication, great packaging, and the prices are competetive, even downright low on some things.

9. Rothbardian

Rothbardian New Member

Sampler packs are the way to go.

Nothing worse than having ordered a 100-pack of one kind and realize that you have found SEVERAL other blades that are far superior.

10. Hat

Hat New Member

Great Info

...and great attitude on this board. Much appreciated. Thanks.

11. Great Michael!! Thank you!!

12. Krisegon

Krisegon New Member

nice guide! I got a sampler from amazon along with my DE razor. I almost bought a 100 pack of Astra platinum, but I kept reading posts like this telling me to try a sampler. I went with an economy sampler that included Derby Extra Super Stainless, Dorco ST-301, Dorco ST-300, Shark Super Chrome, Big Ben Super Stainless, BIC Chrome Platinum, 7a.m. Platinum Hi Stainless, Sharp Stainless, Astra Superior Stainless, and Astra Superior Platinum. $17.00 for 70 blades! 24 cents per blade! Which, out of those I listed is a good newbie blade? My first shave was with an Astra Superior Platinum.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I don't believe there is such a thing as a "newbie" blade. All blades are designed to cut. That's why they're sold. Only you can determine what blade is going to work best on your face in your razor. Others will offer up what works for them, but be warned, they may or may not work for you. Please don't blame anyone for suggesting a blade and then have it not work for you.

Some will find brand X as mild for them and suggest it as a "forgiving" (I despise that term for a blade) and say you should use that one. I say try it, you might like it. Then again, you may not. Others will say newbies should avoid brand Y because it is super sharp and aggressive (more terms I don't agree with, but that's another story) and should only be used after you get your technique down. I've heard plenty of stories of newbies trying brand Y right out of the gate and getting wonderful shaves.

When you get your sampler pack, put them all into a paper bag, close your eyes, reach in and grab one. That's the one you should start with.

14. J.W.

J.W. New Member

Great resource

Thanks! This is a great resource as I am new to this...any other suggestions not already mentioned? Gives one a good place to start as far as blades...now on to a razor, brush, soap/cream, etc. Decisions, decisions, decisions... :think002

15. nrcma98

nrcma98 Member

Thread has been quiet for a while now. I appreciate the insight.

16. GallagherJ

GallagherJ New Member

Thanks for all the thought that went into all of the post on this thread. I, like most newbies I am sure, got a pack of blades with my first razor and thought that was all there was. I used the blades and thought this is fun and was working on technique and didn't commit facial suicide so thought great. Now I am looking forward to getting samples and finding the best blade for me. Seems like this shaving thing has all kinds of easily addictive collectibles.:whacky011: I guess it beats the addictions the doctor told me were bad for my health.:eatdrink020:

17. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Thanks for the advice kyle deffinatly some thing to ponder

18. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

Great post even though it's 4 years old. I just started to experiment with different blades today. Only bought a small sampler of some popular blades for 10 dollars. it included: Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum (10 blades),Crystal or "Israeli" (10 blades), Derby Extra (5 blades), Red Israeli Personna (5blades), Astra Superior Platinum (5 blades). Shaved 3 times my first week using derby extras. They seemed alright. Today was my first shave with Astra superior platinums. It was only one shave but hello new best blade. I'll finish off the week with these then on to another type. Might give the famous feathers a try next week. Have heard so much about them.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I would agree about that being a "popular" short list of blades. I have yet to try Derby's. (I might break out a pack of those tomorrow, but all of the other blades mentioned are ones that I and many others consider to be high quality blades, even if the blades themselves don't agree with everyone.