A disquisition on blade sampler packs

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Leisureguy, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Well, it's got 17 different blades. The TSD sample pack has 12 different blades (3 each) for $12. You could probably fill in some additional brands buying individual packs for less money.

The blades won't go bad, you can keep them for a long time to try again in the future with a different razor, but you probably don't need a huge sampler to find a blade that gives good results for you. It's not a bad sampler pack, and West Coast Shaving is a good place to buy from. You might want to look at building your own sampler pack from the many different brands offered by WCS, it may be cheaper than buying a sampler pack.

2. terbor

terbor New Member

I keep reading different things. Some people say stay with a small set. Others say go for a huge sampler since, as mentioned, the blades won't go bad.

3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

If you're new to wetshaving, the common advice is to get a sampler pack and try a few blades until you find one that gives a good shave with your razor, then stock up on that blade and use it exclusively until you get consistent good shaves. Then you know your technique is good and you can try new blades, this way if you get a bad shave you know it's the blade-razor combination and not your technique. Some of the blades to try first would be those most readily available to you. For example, Walmart carries Wilkinson Swords at $1.76 for 10. If your ordering from an online vendor and need to spend a few more dollars to get free shipping, it's often easy to add a couple of packs of blades you haven't tried before.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

A blade sampler is simply a collection of individual blade packs. You can create your own sampler of any size and composition buy buying a individual blade packs - as many or as few as you want. Alternatively, you can buy any size pre-assembled blade packs. Focusing too much on which blade sampler to buy or the size of the sampler is losing sight of the forest for the trees. The idea is to try different blades to identify which ones work best for you. The ultimate reward, of course, is to getting great shaves at a reasonable cost.

So how many different blades should you try? That is up to you. Some folks try various blades until they find one they like, and then use only that blade thereafter. Others try many more than that, identifying a number of blades that give them good shaves. There is no one right way and no single correct answer. The razor + blade combination is important because a given blade can give very different results when used in different razors.

Out of 65 or so blades I have tried in my Edwin Jagger DE89L, 22 give good shaves and 10 or so give particularly good shaves. Of the ten, five give stellar shaves. Did I need to try 65 blades to get top notch shaves? No, that just happens to be the number of blades I tried.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  5. terbor

terbor New Member

I think Wally World is just about my only local option. I'll take a look around. Something like the TSD set that Erik mentioned may keep it small enough to manage for a new wet shaver (which I plan to be soon). I like the point about working on technique. I have a lot of bad cartridge and canned shaving cream habits to break. I'll focus my time there instead of finding the best pack price.

6. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Wally World is one option. If you are located in the US, CVS and Walgreens also sell double edge blades. If you ever decide to order online, these sellers have the best selection I have found:

Shoebox Shaveshop

Razor Blades and More

Best of luck and happy shaving!

7. terbor

terbor New Member

I've been compiling a list of resources. This two were on my list but I added your note about selection. I'm US so I'll check CVS and Walgreens too. Thanks!

8. Shellbriar

Shellbriar Member

Until I read this I had not even thought of buying a sampler of blades! Makes sense in the same manner that a sampler of cigars or pipe tobacco makes sense. It's just helpful, not to mention fun, to be in the hunt for the "perfect" one. Thanks for taking all the time to write up an excellent article.

9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I used an EJ89("GREAT" shave head isn't it) with a Weber BullDog handle for years until I recently (thanks geraldgordon)got my Weber DLC shave head...I agree you "need" to try every blade at least once! Thats the only absolutely,positively,definate way to know how a particular blade works on your face and whether you care for that blade or not...Plus it's cheap fun :happy097:....My paramaters for a blade are cost in bulk(100+),how long it lasts,how close it shaves and how smooth/irritation/nick free it shaves...:shaver

10. elduderino914

elduderino914 Active Member

Great advice, will be looking for my first sample pack today!