A great flea market find!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HoosierTrooper, Jul 2, 2011.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

My wife and I were scrounging around a flea market today and she finds this in a box of junk that was marked a $1 an item and says; "Is this a razor?" Yep. It's a Type B New Schick Razor that is in perfect working order. It even had two old blades in it marked Schick Made in USA with the numbers 1 and 5 on them.

Here's before and after pics using the baking soda and aluminum foil method and some light polishing with Simichrome. The only major blemish is a spot of plating missing near the word SCHICK. The patent date of 5-18-26 became visible after cleaning it up. I'm going to do a little more detail cleaning on it soon, I was just anxious to get some pictures up. Not bad for a $1!

I believe I'll use it in the morning to finish up Injector Week.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Fantastic score especially for a buck.

Congrats.

It cleaned up nicely.

Are you going to extend injector week and give it a go tomorrow?

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Super find, Tom :happy088:happy088

May it serve you well for many shaves to come!

4. HoosierTrooper

Absolutely! It started on Monday so tomorrow was going to be the last day of Injector Week anyway. Can't wait!

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Cool beans! I just used its slightly newer cousin (a C2) today!

I am always on the lookout for another of those, but they are so small they could have been crammed in many a case without me noticing.

Good Score!

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Sweet score Tom, enjoy! :happy088

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Wow! Cleaned up so nice. lol, one man's junk is another man's treasure.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Tom, that is an excellent clean up restoration. Those are some of the most interesting razors due to the design. I have one of it's cousins in my collection.

Enjoy!

9. Brian

Brian Active Member

GREAT SCORE! Nice job bringing it back to life.

10. HoosierTrooper

Thanks everyone. I can't help but wonder if she would've noticed it if the head had been folded into the loading position since it was in with old doorknobs, cigarette lighters etc.

It's great saving and using these pieces of history.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

HT, don't know wherebouts you are in Indiana but tomorrow the wife and I are heading over to the Tri-State Antique show in Lawrenceburg, across the line from Cinci, I believe. Something always turns up for me at these things.

12. HoosierTrooper

I'm about an hour and a half from Lawrenceburg. I lived in Aurora for about two years, it's right next to Lawrenceburg. Good luck!

13. newb

newb Resident Newb

Nice score Tom. It cleaned up really nice.:signs107

14. HoosierTrooper

I used it this morning and it works great. It is an interesting (tricky?) design for sure. I loaded a couple blades into the magazine but had them backwards the first time. I also found that a single blade can be loaded manually by just sliding it into place, which is probably how I'll do it in the future. And it will be used some more.

From what I read the C type has an improved loading system. I have one on loan from a member at B&B but it came with a blade already loaded so I haven't tinkered with it any. It provides an excellent shave as well.

15. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

When loading the C type, you certainly are reminded of the fact the Colonel Schick designed these based on repeating firearms.

16. huck1680

huck1680 Great Northern CanUkrainian

Nice score Tom and I love the "Enjoy every sandwich" quote from Warren Zevon

17. HoosierTrooper

Thanks. It's a little tribute to my mother in law, she died from cancer earlier this year. I miss them both a lot.