A great surprise this morning - Lapas Blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've been deliberately trying out new blades as I felt I was getting 'too comfortable' using my GSB blades (which btw are fantastic) and wanted to see what else was out there to broaden my horizons a bit :)

This morning, for the first time, I popped a Lapas blade into my birthyear Gillette Slim.

Dialed in the Slim to an 8, lathered up some Stirling Lemongrass soap - and off I went.

The blade felt really sharp but also smooth. I had no problem achieving my regular close-to-BBS in 2 passes.
    I was rather impressed by this blade and in my relatively low exposure to bladed (no pun intended) I'd rate it somewhere here, for me;

1) GSB
    2) Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue
    3) Lapas
    4) Feather
    5) Astra
    6) Voskhod
    7) Derby

Will absolutely use it again.

[​IMG]

Chuck F and Bobcat like this.
  2. KLF

KLF Doctorin

I like the Russian blades, work very good for me.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I like most of the Russian blades I have used as well.

If you haven't yet tried one, I would suggest trying a Permasharp Super. They are great blades.

Bobcat likes this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks, haven't tried that blade. Gonna have to add it to my blade-bucket-list :)

5. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

I have a single lapas at home I'm going to have to try now. I love my voskhods!

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Do and let me know what you think!
    I found Voskhods to be very 'tuggy' but I know a lot of people love them.

7. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

GSB is my all time fav. The Perma Sharp's are "scratchy" if that makes sense.

8. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I don't have the best eyesight in the world but isn't it Ladas, not Lapas? Or are d's p's in cyrillic?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think you're absolutely right :)
    Must have been the capital "D" thrown into the middle of the word that threw me off ;)

Btw an excellent review of the blade here: http://forum.shavemyface.com/viewtopic.php?t=48942

Interesting that there is a claim that it works best in adjustables which is what I ended up using it in and loved it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    cmorris357 likes this.
  10. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

Used it last night in my Mergress XL and I have to say, this is one smooth blade. Slim to no tugging and super sharp! Took it easy on my face and only did two passes on my face and one on the neck and got a DFS. Definitely ranks near the top of my blade pack!

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Isn't it weird how blades work so differently for people? :)

12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Russians do make some nice blades . I often wonder what my mail carrier thinks when I receive packages from all over the world.

13. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

You'll know exactly what he thinks when you see the black helicopters.
    :)

RaZorBurn123 and 178-bplatoon like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You aren't kidding! The helicopter buzzes the neighborhood all the time. No G-men yet, or none that I can see.. :mail:

Cool Breeze likes this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It's not the ones you can see that you should worry about...it's the ones you can't see....

Anyway, so yeah, the LaDas blade is great :)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.