A Horse, Reborn! (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by stingraysrock, Apr 15, 2011.

1. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Happy Friday From Florida!

I have posted this brush in various places over the last few weeks, but now it is done!

I started with a very nasty Rubberset in Green-ish nastiness:

[​IMG]

After hours of sanding, the brush had totally turned into a different color. I had considered putting a TGN Black Badger in this brush, but then I decided to revisit one of my very first brushes from a year ago and ordered the No Name Horse Brush From Turkey:

[​IMG]

After twisting off the base of the Green Rubberset, I used my handy dandy Dremel and reamed out the old knot:

[​IMG]

Then the surgery on the horse brush began:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once I had a few cross sections removed, I found that the knot is set into the same type of material that the cheaper yellow number two school pencils are set into, and then that assembly is glued into the wooden handle. You can see the color difference:

[​IMG]

Next, I went around the rest of the handle and sectioned it:

[​IMG]

After removing all of the sectioned material I sawed off the base of the plastic pencil material and freed the knot:

[​IMG]

Here is the horse knot test fitted into the base:

[​IMG]

Here is the bottom handle screwed back into the base. Now time to grab the Devcon and glue it all together!

[​IMG]

Here she is! All glued up with three coats of Turtle Wax! I will allow it to sit overnight so the epoxy can cure and then break it in!

[​IMG]

I bought my first No Name Turkish Horse Hair Brush from Bestshave last year when I moved away from my original VDH boar and way before the brush got the international press it has seen lately, although I used to rave about it just as much as everyone else does now. It is a cheap brush at $4.39 shipped, but it is a lot of brush for the money. I later PIF'd it to LowellB along with a Tech and have missed the brush ever since then.

I do believe I will love this one more than the last one since it is truly mine now!

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Excellent switcheroo Jeff! That old handle base pops now and the horsehair compliments the whole ensemble.

3. sffone

sffone Member

Very nice job!:signs107

4. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Me rikey a rot!!

5. JAWilliams

JAWilliams Member

Very nice, great way to get what you wanted.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :happy096

Love that handle!

7. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

:eek::eek:

Beautiful brush!!

ST

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Nicely done. Thought put into this project.

9. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Nice work Jeff, this whole time you were a pro :happy102

10. NoahG

NoahG Member

Beautiful!

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You did a great job. May it serve you well for many years to come! :happy088:happy088

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Thanks for the kind words Ya'll! Here is a picture of the brush after a few test lathers. It did not loose a single hair and has a bit of bloom to it now.

[​IMG]

13. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

That's hot Jeff, looks like it meshed out well and you have a truly unique restore!

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Wow... I hadn't really considered taking a knot out of an another brush like that. That certainly gives some thought to some future restores.

Way to go!

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Great Job Jeff.

16. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

A great looking product! I think what you have will be better than the black badger and looks just as good IMHO.

17. NoahG

NoahG Member

this makes me want to try too. I love seeing some once here restores a dirty lump of nasty into something functional and beautiful!

18. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Fantastic job Jeff! :happy096 :signs107

I hope it gives you and BG many a great shaves. :happy088

19. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Great job. I am working my brush restore also.

20. newb

newb Resident Newb

Jeff,
    Thank you for posting the pictures. You've shown a great way to get new horsehair plugs to put in vintage handles. Bestshave offers 25 #6's for $69 with free shipping (2.76 per plug) Now I need to find a ton of vintage handles.:D Great Job.