A Mystery Unveiled!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I bought this razor a while back, and have assumed all along that it was a 1946/47 Aristocrat in a rare black case.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As you can see, it looks just like the 1946/47 Aristocrat on the right in the more commonly seen burgundy case.

[​IMG]

Although identical from every angle, the razor from the black case has no end caps. Logically, this would indicate that the razor is a 1941 model because, to the best of my knowledge, that was the only year that the razors had straight safety bars, exposed center bars, and no end caps, like on the Ranger Tech. Prior razors, like the 1938 Senator, possessed both open combs and hidden center bars, and post war versions all had end caps.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I know that the 1930's open comb Aristocrat came in a black case, and I just assumed that Gillette was using that same case for what I was believing was a 1941 Aristocrat.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

However, I took another look at a razor I have viewed on numerous occasions at Achim's (Mr. Razor) site, and today, the light finally came on.

[​IMG]

So, without further ado, for the first time ever, I am proud to present my fairly rare (I'm sure) predecessor to the 1946/47 style Aristocrat, The 1941 Gillette Regent Tech. Nothing like discovering that one of my gems is even rarer than originally thought! :)

[​IMG]

2. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

Lot of homework went into that. Congrats on making a find in your own collection.

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Sweet. Very nice!

4. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

Wow. That is a beautiful razor. Congratulations on being able to actually track down what it is.

I've been aching for a vintage gold gillette. It's just so hard to find one that looks as nice as yours.

5. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

That is mighty nice razor pr0n! ...and the original Regent Tech case looks fab!

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

No doubt. I would LOVE to find one of those. In fact, I almost feel compelled to track one down because I hate mismatched sets.

7. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i have 2 of those.

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Really? I thought you only bought open comb Gillette razors. :confused:

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

sometimes. i found those 2 on trash day.

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Oh, you're pushing it, Davey-boy! :taunt002

11. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

youre just jealous b/c you have to buy your razors these days.

;)

12. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

You are sadly mistaken sir, if you think that "dumpster diving" is beneath me. Perhaps we shall one day meet in the muck of moldy refried beans and rotten cabbage.

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i found a full case of 195s out in back of big boys last night.

14. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

That's some nice detective work Rick.

Great looking razors too.

15. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Oh yeah? Well, I found a case of of NOS 1888 Kampfe Brothers Star models mixed in with the slop being dumped by the meat department at Vons. I got $20 from the local recycling plant for them.

16. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I slept on it and it all makes sense now, the Regent Tech part. Good job Rick.