A question for my long time DE shavers

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by cigarlover, Aug 30, 2016.

1. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

This is not a bragging thread but I have a question ??

Is it odd that I haven't cut myself since I begun DE shaving many months ago ? I ask this because of all the studying I did before I decided to take the plunge and try DE shaving. I read so many horror stories that I almost didn't even give it a shot. What has your shaving history been like ? have you always been cut free or were you one of the horror stories I read about ? :) Anyways I hope this thread finds the next potential DE shaver that is thinking about jumping ship with the crappy cartridge razors and enjoying shaving bliss. Yes- You can just pick up a DE razor and start shaving without butchering your face or even so much as a small knick. Just do a little homework first and watch a few videos and your good to go.

Oh- And thanks for all the great tips on shaving guys !!!!
    PS- join a good forum like this one :happy036:

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I've cut myself and have scars since starting de shaving. Lol yeah ... I may have to come up with a fairy tale and say I was involved in a turf war and they were wielding knives..

Matt0210 likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hardly cut or nicked myself at all. I'll attribute it to the fact that I started shaving back in the mid-70s with a fixed head cartridge razor, not the pivoting things now on the market. That taught me how to find the proper shaving angle. The transfer to safety razor some 30 years later was a piece o' cake.

Tdmsu, simms623 and cigarlover like this.
  4. cigarlover

HAHAHAHAHA- You're the one I read about ? :happy088:

George X likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

My Sensei says, "Ride the Cap" He is a wise shaver.

Fumble fingers Via Kyocera / Tapatalk

6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Cut myself Sunday! :angry019:

cigarlover likes this.
  7. cigarlover

:shocked003::D

8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I have had very few cuts with DEs and SEs in the two and a half years I have been wet shaving. Straight razors and shavettes are another beast entirely. Most of the cuts are technique issues, and pain and bloodletting are very fast teachers. It is unusual for me to cut myself now.

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nothing more than the occasional small weeper when starting with safety razors.
    Straight razors are another story

cigarlover and Keithmax like this.
  10. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

No real cuts since starting. Maybe a nick in the first month or two but even then no blood. I have been trying straights for the last few months and same there. Just a touch of burn.

I think it's kind of like learning to drive a go cart. If you start off slow and each lap just get a touch faster you will do fine. If you start off fast you seem to be one of "those guys" who crashes a lot.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cigarlover and simms623 like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not really, especially given the amount of study you put in here. But that raises the question, how are your shaves' quality other than never having nicked yourself?

cigarlover likes this.
  12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I, too, heard of the horror stories before I started DE shaving two years ago. I was petrified during my first shave, but I didn't even get so much as a nick. So, nothing to speak of here, except for the time I forgot to close my TTO. I think I was half asleep! Other than that, it's been a blood free affair.

Now, my SR shaving is another story and I have the scar on my chin yet to prove it!

cigarlover likes this.
  13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've drawn more blood with DE razors than I have with straight razors. Perhaps I'm more conscientious using a straight, with fewer attention lapses—but using certain DE razors I found I was more likely to develop jaw weepers and throat bleeders than with any straight razor. Old Gillette Aristocrat and the FaTip were notorious blood-letters. It wasn't the aggressiveness of these razors that necessarily drew blood — my favorite DE is the hyper-aggressive 2011 Mühle R41— but something about the manufacture and/or design of these two I found disagreeable.

Drygulch, cigarlover, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  14. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

I've been wet shaving for a little over a year and I've been mostly knick and cut free! I was pretty nervous starting out. Luckily everything has worked out for the best. Of course my gear is pretty mild so that can all change when I try my first slant or open comb.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

cigarlover and Jim99 like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    If I wanted to cut myself, I'd use a straight. Rarely, I will get a nick. That is because I get careless. Once, with a new razor, I didn't realize that it did not align the blade correctly. Almost cut myself, but ended up with razor burn. I shave with a great variety of DE and SE razors. No problems with cutting myself.

cigarlover, simms623 and Jim99 like this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

There was blood when I first started learning to shave with a DE, when I learned to shave with my 2011 R41 there was plenty of blood. Now it is bey rare to draw a year blood with even my R41. It is also rare to have any irritation.

There was some blood learning to shave with a straight but less than leaning to shave with a DE. Most of the time there is no blood nor irritation with a straight. When using one of my 'top' straights it is rare to have any blood.

The most blood was and still is shaving with a shavette.

cigarlover and RyX like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I've never had more than bad weepers on DE.

cigarlover likes this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Only cut myself when I was young and stubborn ... I haven't really cut myself in years.

Never tried an open razor though.

cigarlover likes this.
  19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I've had a couple of nasty cuts with DE but one was equipment failure. I failed to check the tightness on a TTO and got a good blade wobble. The other was just a stupid shaving error...wrong angle and lots of pressure. Otherwise the occasional nick but that is often due to the low quality of blade or razor I'm trying to make work.

cigarlover likes this.
  20. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I very occasionally catch myself around the nose/top lip area with the edge of the blade that sticks out on either side of the razor. I prefer to think it's a design fault rather than my fault!

cigarlover likes this.