A second Shave Den

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Briscoe, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I am sure many of my fellow straight razor enthusiast can help me with my dilemma of a second shaving den. I have a mountain home, and I really do not like to travel with a strop, razors etc. I am thinking of creating a second den. Suggestions welcome. Thanks

Keithmax, TestDepth and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Might I suggest you work on a rust free storage area for your razors. There are a few things you can do, one is not very visual, and you simply wrap your razors in VCI paper for storage. The second is make or have made a nice display case with anti corrosion canisters built into it.

TestDepth and Briscoe like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

No dilemma, you need a shave den in your mountain home. A regular strop and a pasted strop to maintain your edges. Also a roll made of the same material as gun socks for when you want to transport razors between your homes.

TestDepth and Briscoe like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

How long are you at the mountain home during the course of the year? If you’re there for more than a month each year, you might want to consider having at least three razors there and at least a hone to perfor touch ups. Maybe a cheap or used strop would suffice. If you’re there 4 to 6 months out of the year, then you’re basically looking to replicate the Den you have at your main home. Without going overboard, you could just split your razor collection between the two houses, but you’re definitely going to need a set of stones and strips at both locations.

TestDepth, Briscoe and Keithmax like this.
  5. Briscoe

I am there for 3 days a week, my wife and I have our own bathrooms, or should I say I am stuck in the basement of our main house. The master bath is small at my mountain house, so there be less space to spread out. I have 25 razors, so I could bring some of my less used ones here. Thanks for the input, the great thing about these forums is I have borrowed so many ideas it has helped me with my hobby. Thanks again gentlemen.

Keithmax, TestDepth and Jim99 like this.
  6. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

For long term storage .I find that the silicone sleeves that are the same material used to store firearms work well.

Keithmax, TestDepth and Briscoe like this.
  7. Briscoe

I was planning it out for my next visit in two weeks, It is going to be a working trip with having two trees down near my picnic tables and shooting range, if can fit the shave den in , that's the first priority , right?

TestDepth and Jim99 like this.
  8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I think a mountain home needs a rustic antique shave basin... :)

I envision you just got done chopping down those trees, finished locking in your sights on your shooting range and now pour your hot water into your basin just under your axe...
    C48604B8-DB13-45AA-A0F0-9DD3B9E00368.jpeg
    Just rolled back the clock a few centuries!!!!
    Tom

Keithmax and Latherin’ Luddite like this.
  9. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Yes!

My take on the whole shave den thing is that provides two basic services..........a place to organize our larger than necessary stash of equipment, and a refuge to escape to for a few minutes of enjoyable peace from the world. In MY opinion, the latter is the same thing a mountain home or cabin is supposed to provide, so a bare bones equipment list at the mountain home would suffice just fine for me.

Less gear will also feel less crowded, and less of a maintenance burden. Losing one razor and brush to a burglar would also suck a lot less than a whole collection. The minimalist thing is popular right now, and I think it applies to your situation if anywhere.

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.