A small guide to single edge blades

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by HoosierTrooper, Mar 30, 2012.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

BearCWY likes this.
  2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you. Very useful resource .

BearCWY likes this.
  3. Gairdner

Gairdner Well-Known Member

Fantastic, I got those GEM stainless PTFE coated blades from Connaught in the UK to fit my Ever Ready 1912SE. The cost wass similar to a middle of the road DE blade so that's grand too! Had my first shave with it yesterday and whilst not my best shave it was pretty good nonetheless and great fun! Looking forward to today's single edge practice session!

:D

BearCWY likes this.
  4. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Before I got into the shaving world here I bought a huge vault of stainless box cutter blades, like 250 in it, from hardware store. Brand says Personna Pro. I'll bet if you used one of those kriss kross blade stroppers or something like it to put a proper edge on it they'd shave just fine, wouldn't you think?

BearCWY likes this.
  5. RHood

RHood Well-Known Member

Thanks very much Tom for posting this. I have had several SE razors knocking around for quite some time and this information finally spurred me to get a few blades and finally start using them within the last month or so. I really am enjoying my non-injector SEs!

BearCWY likes this.
  6. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

The shave blades are 3 faceted and the box cutter type only have 2 facets. Totally different animals :) Dunno how long it would take you to strop a SS blade to shave quality. Probably order some shave blades and get them faster than you could finish the first one stropping :p

BearCWY and Boojum1 like this.
  7. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

when did ASR start making stainless blades? Im looking into NOS blades.

BearCWY likes this.
  8. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

fram773
    Thanks for the bump on this thread. Nice to know about American Safety Razor/Personna making the blades for CVS.

BearCWY likes this.
  9. fram773

I'd like to see Connaught Shaving added to the list of sources for acquiring blades. Not sure how it is cheaper to have them made in the USA sold in the UK and bring them back here but it is. They have the best prices on bulk blades.

BearCWY likes this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Great information!

BearCWY likes this.
  11. craa349

craa349 New Member

First shave tonight w first safety razor a gem 1912... used the Gem personna razors.... lil bit of a learning curve but all in all a very smooth result, but i do have a lil razor burn but thinking its from first time shaving w single razor i hated shaving before but like shaving now with my brush and razor. Cant wait to get my blades for my schick injector.

BearCWY and fram773 like this.
  12. fram773

be sure to read this if you haven't
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/se-gem-shaving-tips-tricks.31529/

nice truck by the way

BearCWY likes this.
  13. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Many thanks Tom!

It may be pretty tough to find out, but is it possible the blades intended for shaving/medical use
    are just stropped (or honed with a finer series of stones, then stropped) and the "hardware store" variety aren't.

I can't imagine a company investing in an entirely different series of machines to make one vs. the other...

BearCWY and BigMark like this.
  14. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Excellent work Tom. Lots to learn in this article :happy096:

BearCWY likes this.
  15. rp_63

rp_63 Active Member

I have good luck with the Gem Blue Star blades and I can find them local in a couple stores.

BearCWY likes this.
  16. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

My understanding is that the ones made for shaving have a 3 facet edge, while the ones used in paint scrapers and such have a 2 facet edge. The ones with the 3 facet edge are sharper than the blades with the 2 facet edge, but the 2 facet edge blades last a little longer.

A picture illustrating this can be seen towards the top of the page HERE on the Ted Pella site.

BearCWY and Chuck F like this.
  17. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Since I am expecting a SE in the mail probably early some time next week I have a question. I have read the carbon blades rust easily. If I give them a swish in alcohol would that suffice instead of having to remove the blade after every shave? I can get Treets locally, at least for now for 2 bux a pack, as well as the CVS blades. I picked up a pack of GEMs but want to try the different blades available around here.

BearCWY likes this.
  18. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

I can't speak directly to the blades in question, as I haven't used them, BUT, I used to use carbon steel needles at work years ago. And moisture, any moisture, will blacken and degrade carbon steel fast. I would assume even alcohol, if trapped under the blade would do it the same as water. We used to prevent our needles from rotting in the autoclave by dipping them in glycerin. Kept them daisy fresh. I would think a similar treatment would keep a carbon blade fresh with a bit less maintenance. But ultimately I'm guessing...

BearCWY and youngunn like this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent work Tom! :bounce017::bounce017::bounce017:

BearCWY and HoosierTrooper like this.
  20. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Those feather blades blow my mind! They are clearly designed for Valet razors...I wouldn't think there was enough demand for such a thing. It's pretty cool though. Now I'm pretty excited that I have some Valets coming in a lot of stuff I just picked up. I was mostly picking them up because I think the design and mechanisms are beautiful. I have to admit that the old single edge razors intimidate the heck out of me.

BearCWY and youngunn like this.