A Straight Razor Shave; Why Not?

Discussion in 'Articles' started by stingraysrock, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Asd

Asd Well-Known Member

Jeff, you did a great job! I can bet my money, you initiated some innocent soul to straight shaving with this article! Keep going!

2. s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad Member

Nice article Jeff. Your knack for writing has inspired me to dust off my straight razor and maybe send it out for honing and use!

Aaron

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Thanks!

Now about that team of yours...

4. s&g'sdad

s&g'sdad Member

Yeah! What a season. I live in G.B., so it was pretty crazy here! I sure hope the teams and owners come to their senses and get a deal done soon. Not only would it suck as a fan, but each home game brings in about 8 million dollars to the economy here in Green Bay.

Aaron

5. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

I was reading this older article, and have a similar situation. The topic of shaving comes up, and I tell folks that I prefer to shave with a straight razor. The shock, awe, and bewilderment of these people is beyond me. I had one guy (immediately after telling him i shave with a str8), "Now why the heck do you do that? You're going to cut yourself to shreds! I would never do that in a 1000 years!"

You know folks, since finding a better and much more satisfying way to shave, I say men and women that don't shave with a DE,SE, or straight are missing out. They don't know how truly happy my face is with me after lathering up with great shaving soap, shaving with a sharp and amazing blade, and cleaning up with ASM.

One day..their eyes will be opened.

6. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Very nice article Jeff! I love the look on people's faces when I tell them I shave with a DE or a straight razor, it's always priceless!

7. Dr.Wybert

Dr.Wybert Member

That was a good story, and it made me think.Those are the type of articles i like.
    But you pointed out all the reasons of the demise of the straight razor
    I think barbers themselves worked on that fear to.
    "It's dangerous business, better get a professional to do it for you!"
    So, now you put the trust in someone else his care, and lets face it, you get someone else, to lay something extremely sharp against your most vulnerable area!
    I mean wolfes and lions all go for the neck, not only that, they push you on your back in the chair.
    Talk about your primal instinct bells going off!
    That's a lot of trust you give to your barber its really just a small stretch to think of that 'tiny'nick in that crucial area, simply because your barbers favorite team scored over the radio..
    And now his guy sells you a razor that allow you to take control over your own life!With replaceable blades thanks to the marvels of mass production.(also fairly new technology at the time)
    And practically no maintenance won over the rest of the people.

But that's not bad, the fact is, all that marketing/scaring makes you look more like a badass lol.
    When i mentioned it to my wife and later to my mother, i got the same reaction as if i said
    "I bought a Harley and thinking of joining the 'angels".
    Now i realllllly want a straight razor!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. fikira

fikira New Member

Nice article! After 3 years, wouldn't shave with anything else then a straight!

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

RyX and J.R. like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

@Steve C thought you might find this article interesting