A Tale Of Two Cases

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jimjo1031, Jan 21, 2018.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

In my most recent haul, there were two Gem Damaskeene cases that I needed to combine into a workable and better looking one. The first two pics shows them inside and out..........
    1.jpg 2.jpg

I chose the second one, although it did have some wear on the outside, it was in better shape than the other one. This pic showing them after I gutted them out..........
    3.jpg

The fourth pic shows the material I confiscated from my GF to make the inside hinge, or what ever it's called. Not an exact match in shade, but it looks good........
    5.jpg

Next, using the same material as the hinge, I made the lining for the bottom wrapped around a thin piece of cardboard. As I wanted more contrast, I used deep blue acrylic to change the color, rubbed in using a coffee filter, except the bottom right area so I can glue the handle rest onto. I used the inside top lining of the other case because it's in better shape and I like it more. Also to make the outside of the case more presentable, I used my refillable brush pen with India ink, that I use for ink drawings, to touch up the areas wear the cover has worn down. Then rubbed it in using my finger and then lightly sprayed with a clear coat. I also removed the black coating on the snap, as I think it looks better..........
    6.jpg

Final pic showing it all put together, along with the razor and blade bank..........
    7.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

That's some good work Jim! I like it

Yehuda D and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. jimjo1031

Thank you, it keeps me busy.

Yehuda D and Dansco like this.
  4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I wonder if it'd be worth my creating a few silk screens to create the various logos on velvet, so that people can refurbish or create new boxes.

5. jimjo1031

I like the idea

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Tremendous detail and execution. Just beautiful!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice, Jim. I like what you did there.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

It was the worst of cases. It was the best of cases.
    (with apologies to ol' Chuckie.)

EnglishChannel and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. Bookworm

I'll think about it. I know my folks still have all the screenmaking supplies, it's not horribly difficult. The trick is going to be getting the ink correct to seal into the velvet so it does the nice 'flat' surface. I wonder how they did it 80 years ago - probably still silkscreening, as it's an old technique.

Jorvaljr and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Great job! Looks like you might be able to restore both. :)

jimjo1031 likes this.
  11. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Wow....great idea and results! That turned out beautiful and classy.

TestDepth and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. jimjo1031

Thank you.

TestDepth likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

I need one for my ER Little Lather Catcher with Jim's handle. Probably do the other for it.

Enrico likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

Thank you sir.

15. jimjo1031

Thank you.

16. jimjo1031

Thanks Jim.

17. Bookworm

@jimjo1031, could you take a couple of closeup photos (or scans) of the logos, with the height and width ?

jimjo1031 and Jorvaljr like this.
  18. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Would you be able to do Gillette?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  19. Bookworm

If I can do one, I can do any of them. Gillette might be easier, since they tended to only do white. Reflective gold is harder. They had to have used an oil based paint, because acrylic paints are relatively recent. I surmise that they screenprinted, rather than stenciled, because of the time period, and that there aren't any connections between the printed sections. Because of time constraints and needing to finish cleaning out my house of old computer stuff, right now I just want to get a better idea of what it would take.

My visualization would be to find velvet that's as close to original as possible, and simply print squares of it with logos, then sell/give away those squares.

20. jimjo1031

Sizes L x H in inches:
    Both overall size for the linings are 3.45 x 1.65
    1st logo size - 1.45 x 0.75 Should be a bit more purple
    2nd logo size - 1.30 x 0.85 (including Made In U.S.A.) Dark Purple 20180121_212326_preview.jpg 20180121_212733_preview.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    AGHisBBS, Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.