A Triple Dubl….Duck-style.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Dec 27, 2016.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here's a little restoration & honing project that'll keep me busy over the next week or so. I just received a package containing three Solingen-made straight razors all imported by Bresnick/Bresduck/Pearllduck Inc., NYC. All require a little TLC to get them up into prime operational condition. I enjoy the dubl duck razors and, despite the often over-blown hyperbole surrounding them, they actually are truly-fine shavers. This trio doesnt have the the lovely 'cracked ice' scales and decorative bolsters some of the higher-desired models have, but the steel is what one shaves with and all of the Ducks I've used have taken great edges.

The first is a dubl duck 'Special No. 1' a rather 'plain jane' 5/8" square-point with two-pin butterscotch scales. (circa 1947-1952)
    [​IMG]

The second is a dubl duck 'Satinedge' 5/8" square-point with translucent golden-green 3-pin scales.
    Blade is in terrific shape. (circa 1947-1952)
    [​IMG]

The third is one I find the most intriguing: it is the oldest of the lot (early 1930s) and is stamped dubl duck hand-forged on one side of the tang and Bresnick New York on the reverse side, with a hammered tang and two-pin yellowed bone scales. Shows some hone wear but looks to be easily redeemable.
    [​IMG]

I love the edge the Dubl Ducks take so I look forward to the relatively minor restoration, honing and shaving with this trio.

Demidog, Jim99, Billyfergie and 16 others like this.
  2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Eagerly awaiting the progress.
    image.gif

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

My eye's on the one with the translucent scales ;)

Billyfergie, Kizurra and twhite like this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Me too. That's a beauty.

Billyfergie, Spyder and Kizurra like this.
  5. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

They look to be in excellent condition...look forward to seeing the finished product.

Spyder and Kizurra like this.
  6. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Three beauties, I'd be proud to own any of them. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A little clean-up before I take the trio to the hones.

Dubl Duck Special No.1 — clean blade with a good edge with some slight hone wear; blued tang with some bluing loss on the tail. I may re-blue the tail to make it consistent. I tightened the pins on both ends.
    [​IMG]

Dubl Duck Satinedge — blade is in VG shape; removal of scratches and water spots; tightened pins on both end (loose blade and loose wedge). Cleaned & polished inside & outside of scales. Some 'gunk' built up on wedge end (see top photo) as well as inside the scales.
    [​IMG]

Dubl Duck Hand-Forged — this one is the oldest and one that needed more attention. Rust evident on edge and portions of the blade that needed to be removed. Clean up of tang revealed more evidence of the hammered tang. Bone scales in solid shape. Pins tightened on both ends. Some hone wear near the toe but nothing serious.
    [​IMG]

8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Amazing work Kevin.

9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Very nice, Kevin. They're looking great. :signs107:

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

They do look nice.
    Curious as to why you didn't go with an original type finish on the blades??

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sweet!

Billyfergie likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'll go back and soften the buffer lines that are evident now. These were finished on a 600 grit buffing wheel. Finishing the blades with finer compounds will give them a more uniform finish.
    More work to do….

13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

The forged one is sweet. The bone scales rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

These are beautiful! It's nice to see someone on the site who has some Dubl Duck's!! I only have one SR and it is my great-grandpa's old DublDuck! I love shaving with it!

I also agree that the forged one looks great!

Billyfergie, Spyder and HolyRollah like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Between the hammered tang and bone scales = rustic charm! :happy088:

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've been using this Dubl Duck Goldedge (restored by Glen a few years ago @gssixgun) as part of my regular razor rotation. They are top-shavers! :happy088:
    SafariScreenSnapz1112.jpg

17. Pilotcld

Oh, btw! Mine is just like this one, Special No. 1. I actually went to a barber in Utah who told me that back in the late 1940's they used to give these out to new barbers that wee starting or finishing barber school!
    I thought that was pretty sweet :)

Billyfergie, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  18. Pilotcld

Aren't they awesome? I mean, having only tried one SR... ever, I love how well it shaves!

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I need to up my equipment. :(

Billyfergie, Spyder and George X like this.
  20. George X

George X Well-Known Member

The angels sing. Nice work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twhite, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.