A Triple Dubl….Duck-style.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

Awesome job!

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

More work...final buffing on the three blades to soften/smooth all marks. Polish to near-mirror finish.
    [​IMG]

The 'SPECIAL No.1' razor needed some touch-up on the blueing (mainly on the tail). A double application of gun blue was sufficient to blend the hue so the tang had a more uniform appearance without the previous bald patches.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Beautiful, Kevin.

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Super duper awesomeness. :git:

5. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

These look so great!! I can't wait til I have more SR's. I have a feeling I will be partial to Dubl Ducks though! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Final Stages: I set the bevel on all three of these near-identical blades using the Chosera Pro 1k. What a dream honing these blades! :love055: Flat. Even. No extra steps or contortions to keep the edge consistent. Were every blade this easy to hone, I'd be a happy camper. ;)
    I followed the bevel-set with two Naniwa SS: the 3k and the 5k, raising a slurry with the Atoma plate and doing a series of laps (progressively thinning with water) until felt the edge was 'ready' for the next step.
    Since this was one of the rare times where I had multiple razors that had near-identical blades, I opted to try something new: use a different finisher (and 'pre-finisher) for each and compare the edge on the shaving end.

Since I had started each the same (1k>3k>5k; all synthetic), the changing variable was how I finished the blades.
    For the Dubl Duck 'Special No.1' (top left in photo) I took the Japanese natural route: an Okuda Suita (pre-finisher), a semi-hard but fast cutter; and finished on a very hard Shobudani Asagi using a Mikawa nagura progression. Easy-peasy. Smooth. HHT3 range before stropping.
    For the Dubl Duck Satinedge (right in photo) I used a pair of natural stones. From the 5k synthetic, I used a Belgian coticule (est. up to 6-8k range), beginning with a thin slurry and diluting with water through a number of laps (50+). I finished the blade on a very hard Apache Strata (est. 8k-10k) using a thin slurry progressively thinning until the final strokes were done with plain water. Sticky, sticky edge. HHT2-3 range.
    For the Dubl Duck Hand-Made (bottom in photo), I kept on with the synthetics. From the 5k, I went to the Naniwa 8k > 10k > and finished with water strokes on the Naniwa 12k. Very keen to the touch. HHT2-3 range.

Next phase: the actual shaves using these three and finding if I have a preference for any blade.

[​IMG]

7. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Fantastic! Really, thanks for this post! Interested in the final results!

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

First shave tonight: Two-day growth to put the first duck to the test.
    I used the DD 'Special No.1' (honed on JNats). Noisy shave as the full-hollow blade sings with every stroke. Smooth. Incredibly sharp, particularly noticeable in 'detail work' in the tight areas around my mouth & mustache.
    Effortless. Bloodless. Three passes left me BBS…or as close as I wish to get to BBS.
    Off to a great start with these Ducks.
    [​IMG]

Spyder, Paul Turner, dustmite and 6 others like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Second shave: This morning's early shave is the second of three consecutive using a vintage Dubl Duck 5/8." This Dubl Duck 'Satinedge' was finished using a comibination of naturals (Belgian coticule/apache strata). Same soap & brush as the previous day (Soap Commander 'Influence' lather applied with Shave Works badger, matching SC balm). Result? A smooth, nearly blood-free episode (small chin nick due to 'operator error' )
    Perhaps a touch less keen on the toe compared to yesterday's JNat-finished razor, but still no slouch. A very good shave.

[​IMG]

Spyder, dustmite, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  10. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I'm glad you had such a great shave with this one. I LOVE how it sounds like velcro when I shave with mine! I was always told that shaving with a SR can be noisy and I always wanted to experience that feeling haha.

Hope the next shaves go just as well!

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Final of the trio, this 'Hand Forged' was finished entirely on Naniwa synthetics (8k>10k>12k). Scary sharp edge, post-stropping on Tony Miller fast bridle leather & linen — HHT4 from toe to heel.
    The razor has the most severe toe wear, but entirely unnoticeable during the shave. Like the other two DDs, the full-hollow blade feels 'thin' on the face (of course I am probably more accustomed to the heavier Sheffield grinds) and is a very loud shaver. No resistance whatsoever as whiskers yielded easily—even in my 'tougher' spots. What was surprising was how smooth the razor felt— no harshness, no irritation—something I was preconditioned to possibly expect due to the supposed harshness usually attributed to synthetic hones. Not with this razor. Sharp & smooth feeling.

All of these three DDs provided me with top-shelf shaves. I'd have no issue grabbing any of the three and expecting a close, comfortable shave. The differences between the three was minimal, at best. I perhaps need to do some work on the Satinedge's toe, but overall, each one did a superlative job in providing a comfortable shaving experience

[​IMG]

DaltonGang, Spyder, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  12. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

Those are some sweet looking razors. I'm a huge fan of the blued tang and plain scales. Simple, but looks great

Billyfergie and HolyRollah like this.
  13. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I love the square point and the original scales! I have a satin wedge in the stables for a restore eventually, but have yet to use a dubl duck.