A Week With The MÜHLE R41 Open Comb Razor

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Sodapopjones, Aug 8, 2011.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I guess that is my problem in so much as I don't want to plunk down money on a razor that I don't want to use. It would be a great razor for someone with skin that can handle the razor. Mine could not on a daily basis.

Chaddy187 likes this.
  2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

you sure that they're the same? I'm serious- that's not a trick question. I have one of the fatip head r89s and the comb looks different. I think the blade angle is roughly similar, though.

I had heard they redesigned the "new" open comb to be more mild. Sounds like I heard wrong.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I wouldn't call the new OC mild. It is definitely on the aggressive end of the spectrum. My problem with the razor was that I was only able to pull comfortable shaves with Feather blades. Even a slightly less sharp blade felt tuggy to me. It was borderline too much for me and being my only razor that had a distinct preference for blades, I let it go. Not a bad razor, just too much for me. It is most likely because I was not able to cement my technique with it. My OCMM doesnt feel the least bit aggressive to me, but the R41 required some diligence.

4. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

good example of YMMV in action: I had an OCMM and got rid of it for the very reasons you got rid of your r41. However, my o.c. r89 shaves beautifully with a red pack personna blade. Go figure.

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

The old R89 had a head made by Fatip and was the same razor Fatip sold. It was a nice aggressive razor. I am not sure why I sold my R89; however, I still have a fatip.

The 2011 model R41 is a different beast. Honestly, I couldn't tell you which is more aggressive between the 2011 R41 and old R89 model. But I have a sneaky feeling the R41-2011 is has a meaner bite.

6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

eesh. now that's aggressive. I'm curious now.

7. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I think the actual feel seems worse than it is, like I said its much like hand stropping and if the side of your hand can handle it, your face should be able to as well... Its just not overly pleasant, especially everyday.

I can understand your point of view, at first when I tried the razor, it felt like I had to force myself to use it everyday and really didn't want to, but once it was gone I missed it. Its perfect for the days you do decide to use it though, personally I'm hoping EJ releases their version at half the cost, or someone buys me a variant of the R41 for my Birthday :cool:
    Only if you press down, for as harsh and as much visible blade exposure the head allows for, it is forgiving and will let you know when you're using the wrong angle.

Also thanks everyone for the kind words, I put probably more effort and nitpicking into this then necessary, but I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

8. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

The only reason I would say the new R41 has more bite is that I tend to end up with small nicks that I do not get with the fatip. I have also had blade life issues with the R41. Blades last about half as long on this razor as they do other razors.

9. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Aaron, thanks for the post! I have been looking at this razor, waiting for an in-depth review of how it performs. To me this razor sounds great. I find that even though I have sensitive skin, a razor that offers more blade contact to the skin gives me a much better shave with less chances of irritation. Eg - I prefer my Autostrop loaded with a feather, over my Muhle loaded with a feather, the shave is better, lasts longer and I have less post shave problems. So I think I will deffinately be trying to pick one of these up.

10. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I can help you with "half the cost" (almost). HERE I got the new 41 and 2 Omega brushes for $50 and change delivered. The razor alone is about $33.00 USD. Great Customer Service and I get the items quicker from him than anyone shipping CONUS. Just a thought...

11. Sodapopjones

Thanks for the link Chris, the R41 is roughly $37 shipped and they do have the R102 *White Handle*. :cool:

12. Hiya,

I left out a piece of info in my previous post. My normal set up is a Gillette adjustable set on #4, using either an Iridium or Feather blade. So I'm one of those people who like a mild razor/ sharp blade combo. That setting's milder than any Gillette fixed head non adjustable razor I've tried. Heh, yes, that includes the Tech, which is right around the #5 setting.

I can't tame an aggressive razor to my liking, but I can improve the performance in a milder razor with the right blade. Putting a mild blade like an IP in that R41 would do very little good if any.

Now when Justin said this thing maybe had more bite that the old R89...........that's pretty nuts. It should tell experienced members that this thing can hoit you! To me, a razor has to be fun if it's in my small rotation. Needs to be at least fairly comfortable on my face, and it has to be somewhat forgiving. I know lots of members love a very aggressive razor, but those have always been a bad fit for me.

Martin

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Great article, Aaron! :happy088:

14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I was sold after reading the article but since the post article dialogue, I'm back on the fence.

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Why is that Mr. Freaky Avatar?

16. Sodapopjones

Do tell Bob!

17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Great review Aaron...5 Stars...You should do more reviews...You covered your subject throughly, and presented it in a most captivating way... I feel like I know the R41 personally now...Thanks...

18. Sodapopjones

Thanks Lloyd!

19. Dipesh

Dipesh Member

Great read. I've just got on loan from a good friend. I look forward to learning to use it.

20. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

Great review-it really reflected my experience with this razor. I completely agree that the sharper the blade the better this razor performs. The niche for
    this razor that I've settled into is a few days growth when I'm in a hurry-this happens on Mondays every so often. The slant was my previous choice for this situation but I think the R41 can do a bit more in that quick 1 or 2 pass shave.