A Week With The MÜHLE R41 Open Comb Razor

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Sodapopjones, Aug 8, 2011.

1. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Excellent questions gents! I reckon I shoulda supplied reason up there ^.

You guys have made me think about it and it seems like it may be a "specialty" kinda razor. So much that I want to try before I buy. If I try it and I can get a good and comfy shave I may buy one. Everyone's comments made me think before jumping. So I'm going to see if I can't test drive one first.

I love the look of it and the reputation so far but I'm just gonna wait until I can borrow one and test it first.

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    hmmm........maybe we need a test drive section in the store. Could be very helpful to members.

stingraysrock likes this.
  3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

MÜHLE seems to be marketing as just that, a somewhat Niche/Specialty type of razor, however like I said in my review, its not the case as you can use it how you wish, and everyday if you so desire. Just don't expect to wake up every morning coveting it, maybe Dale will let you use his.

That would be very cool, it would help newbies and veterans alike.

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Great Idea Queen. I think that would be a great yet horrible idea... Would be getting to many items to try and then having to buy them :).

There is a good interview with Andreas Müller who is a general manager at MÜHLE. It is pretty interesting read. He says....
    "We had thought there is a demand. There are some rather gentle razors available but we wanted to create a DE that is clearly distinguishable from others - and complementary to our gentle version, the R89. The feedback and the sales figures confirm our assumption." - Andreas Müller

I am not sure if i can just copy and quote that... if not just delete it please :)

5. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

+2!

6. stingraysrock

Fire me off your address again and you can have a test drive with mine.

battle.munky and PanChango like this.
  7. mao

mao New Member

Came just on time - I bought myself a new one this week
    THANKS

8. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Nice. I look forward to more thoughts upon this razor. I love me some aggressive razors that can get the job done well with 2 passes.

9. Sodapopjones

I go to order the R102 and Paul is out of stock now, damn my article! :rofl:

10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

PM sent Jeffro, thanks dude!

11. stingraysrock

Right on Mang / Freaky Avatar Dude...

12. Codfish

Codfish Member

Excellent and informative review, Aaron. My own experience is very similar to yours. I recently posted a review here, too.

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent review and you did business with an excellent vendor (Connaught Shaving).

14. Sodapopjones

Indeed, I think most everyone agrees the razor diminishes blade life, and a more aggressive blade is preferred, glad to see you enjoy yours!

The only difference I see is I don't like the regular chrome handles and, I have no problem recommending the razor to anyone of any skill level, newbie or veteran. :cool:

15. Codfish

Codfish Member

As I said in my review: "I would hesitate, however, to recommend it to anyone who doesn’t like very aggressive razors. I also think it would be irresponsible to recommend it to a new shaver, or anyone whose shaving skills are not fairly well tuned. This is as close to a straight razor as DEs have come, at least in my experience."

I stand by my statement.

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, gentlemen, the real question is would a new shaver reading these reviews be interested? The more adventurous personalities would say yes, and the more cautious would say no.
    Really, if a person knows his skin and the conditions (sensitive skin, ingrown hair issues, or skin that can take a lot from a razor) would make his or her own decision based upon that more than anything else. The reviews and the comments from the MÜHLE site would lead the potential user to that determination. Thanks to both of you for your reviews.

17. Sodapopjones

If a new shaver can pick up an injector and shave with it, there really isn't a reason they shouldn't try the R41, a Type E is just as scary if you want to use that term. I think a lot of peoples views are different on razors which is fine, but I also think the over hyping of aggressiveness scares away people.

I started on a Parker 90R and lived to tell the tale. :happy093:

To each their own :cool:

18. Codfish

Codfish Member

There are those who would race shopping carts downhill. More power to them I guess.

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

My worries are that a newbie would who starts out on an aggressive razor won't know any better about technique and blade choice, and then think that a rough and possibly bloody shave is as good as it gets with our "Old Fashioned" methods, and retreat back to the carts and goo.

I personally would rather err on the side of caution and let one figure out that they need to move up to something more aggressive, rather than the other way around.

Remember Aaron, you is special! :)

20. Sodapopjones

If they read my article they'll know its not similar to the traditional DE's, however if they don't you're right it could be bad...

Its funny, starting out with a mild razor, actually overly mild I should say isn't that great either, too many passes, lack of results and irritation also are not so good.

But hey I guess that's why we have the EJ DE89, the razor for everyone!