A Week With The MÜHLE R41 Open Comb Razor

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Sodapopjones, Aug 8, 2011.

1. kossi

kossi New Member

Does anyone have Muhle41, Mercur open comb and Joris? Are they the same? can you post a picture of the three?

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Actually the new R41 is totally different from those razors.

[​IMG]

3. brothers

brothers Active Member

I felt the same way about my Muhle R41. I padded the jaws of a couple of pairs of pliers and grasped each end of the handle and twisted. The end with the screw socket came right out. Inside the hollow handle I inserted a bolt that fitted pretty closely inside, with the hexagonal head ground off to make a single long round rod and when I measured I found I had about 3/8 inch of space left, so I got a fishing weight and in about a minute I made a plug to fit and fill the remaining space. I mixed some plastic epoxy and dropped a very small portion of a spoonfull down inside, followed by the weights I'd made. When I was satisfied that I had just the right amount of epoxy holding the weights without overfilling, I carefully placed the end of the handle back into place and then I padded both ends of the handle heavily with a towel and placed it in the bench vise and very carefully and slowly tightened the vise just until the end was successfully back into it's original position, with no damage being done to the handle by the vise, and the weights and epoxy were sealed inside to dry for many hours. When all was ready I removed it from the vise. It weighed between 3 and 4 ounces. Significantly heavier than when it was hollow. It's a beautiful handle and with the added weight, I really like the way it shaves with the R41 head.

Sodapopjones likes this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Holy smokes! Lemme pay you to duplicate that handle for me!

5. stan

stan New Member

Does anyone know the web address for the Muhle company?

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

7. Sodapopjones

Dang Gary, that is some McGyver action nice job. :happy096:

Welcome to TSD Stan!

8. jss4537

jss4537 New Member

Good post Aaron. What do you mean by sweeping strokes? can you guide me to a video that shows this? Geo's video - seems like he is using long strokes but as it has been said he can shave with anything

9. Sodapopjones

I've been sitting here trying to figure out a way to describe this as there really isn't a video I know of; its something you pickup.

If you watch Mantic's advanced techniques video there's a technique called "J Hooking" this is the closest thing I could find; however you don't want to twist your wrist and make an L, just go straight down or across.

Short and choppy, or Blade Buffing will probably tear your face up if you're newer to wet shaving.

Start watching at the 1:30 minute mark.

10. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Man you guys are much braver than me. It still gives me the heebie jeebies when I see a pic with a blade in one.

11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Nah.....it's not so bad, it is just different. I'm past the intimidation now and don't even bleed unless I use pressure accidentally. It is no worse than a "normal" DE, just a bit different.

Sodapopjones likes this.