A Well Oiled Machine

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JayKay, Mar 13, 2008.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I remember reading a while back that soaking a razor in alcohol can eventually cause the movements of the razor to get rough and sometimes seize up and that some people put mineral oil on the razor to keep it moving smoothly. Where exactly do you put the mineral oil? I want to oil up a fatboy I just purchased because I gave it a longgggg soak in alcohol to get it nice and clean.

2. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

I have a Tupperware container that I fill with Johnsons Baby Oil and I let the razor soak in it (completely submerged). After awhile I move all the moving parts to make sure everything is getting its fair share of oil, then I rinse it off in hot water and wipe it dry.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I think you just put the whole razor in the mineral oil, and let it soak for a bit. I could be wrong though.

FYI, the razors you bought from TSD Store were all cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner before they were shipped. I wouldn't think an alcohol soak would be necessary on those ones.

4. JayKay

I figured you cleaned them up well for me :D I figured I'd just give the fatboy a little soak because we all know a razor can never be too clean. Anyways I guess ill just squirt it full of my mineral oil sample and rinse it off. Thank you.

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

I have never soaked mine, although that is a great idea....I usually just oil the moving parts and pour a bit down the center of the silo doors into the handle....I could be doing it wrong though???...it does seem to work.

6. JayKay

I think as long as oil ends up up on the razor, its all good.

7. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Exactly. There's no part of that razor oil would hurt. If your goal is sanitation, I use a spray down of aerosol lysol. That stuff is guaranteed to kill anything.

8. JayKay

Haha, I've never heard that one before. But as always, deffently a good way to clean the germs off a razor.

I'll admit that I was tempted tonight while I was up in the lab. There is a HUGEEE autoclave just sitting outside the door and I wanted to have a go at it with all my razors.

9. Who are you sharing your razors with ?;)

10. JayKay

Haha. I think it was more just about using the big machine that I'm not aloud to touch. Truth be told, I dont know if I'd want to use it anyway. I'm assuming that clean inside, because it is an autoclave. But the giant sign posted on it is "For fly kitchen use only". Now I'm more interested in this so called fly kitchen than the autoclave.

11. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Yeah, it's a rough place. All those flies working to make the best entree. It's kinda like iron chef.